Apple Silicon/M1 - No for BigSur 11.2, yes for BigSur 11.3

Wow :astonished:— v7 isn’t out yet, and v8 will take years time, isn’t it?

Do we talk about 3 or more years to get M1 (possibly) working with Rhino v8 (non-Beta)??

FWIW,

-wim

Possibly…

:heavy_check_mark: OK. :smiley:

When was it released? Didn’t see it coming — on macOS …

That is pretty fast for a McNeel Release - The Version 6 for Mac is not one year old?! Please correct me if I am wrong.

round about 2019-12-18?!?
Sorry I am wrong it was Jul 2019

I total Agree with you that you need to synchronize the release dates but update wise it isn’t a easy choice for a just mac Users with the fast release - Don’t get me wrong I am really happy about the release and I total like the new Version and think also it is really a big big step forward but timeline wise and a bit expansive step. And of course (for me) it the new stuff is total worth it.

Sorry I was wrong it the release date was Jul 2019

I typically only use Rhino on a Mac for designing and then render in another program. I think in general Rosetta 2 emulation will be fine for a bit if there are bug fixes made to act as abridge until an Apple Silicon version. So if it takes time to rework, waiting will be ok.

Rhino is not running bugfree on Rosetta2 and it takes a while until it’s running natively on ARM (what takes time for development that is hard to define) - got it. Even though I know there will not be an official statement, but I guess Version 6/7 (for Intel-Macs) will runs stable on Rosetta2 within the next year. Seems that performance is not the problem but stability. Would be nice to be updated for the macs with ARM. The ARM-Macs seem to be very interesting for many reasons but right now (probably not for Rhino only) not for the productive mode anyway - I am interested but not in a hurry.

Hi - please see the following page for up-to-date information

-wim

Apple’s M1 chip has its RAM, CPU, GPU, etc. all in one chip. It consumes order of magnitude less power than comparable Intel CPUs. The GPU is fast enough for most CAD users.

more info about the M1 power consumption and laptop fan noise:

2 Likes

Not really.

4 Likes

Hey Henning, read some of your repplies and perceive you might be able to help me plase and thanks.
i have a macbook pro 13 2015 16gb ram i7 intel iris graphics 6100 512 ssd.
i used rhino before, never outstanding capability with high loads or rendering. it has been crashin lately more and more. i changes to big sur ios and only run rhino nowadays with out any other programs and it hasnt been crashing, cross fingers.
any way was thinking about changing my computer for a same one from this year with intel iris plus graphics i7 13 inch 32gb, (first question, do you perceive some sort of improvement in computer i have now towards new one with more cores iris plus and the 32gb ram?)
or a m1 macbook (second question is M1 working with rhino 6,7 rosetta? somehow or doesnt even turn on?)

(other question, plan B is getting a macbook pro 16 way more expensive, 32gb ram i9 amd radeon 8gb, would that be way faster and work smoothly with rhino in your opinion?

thanks!

i use rhino for product designing, rendering, architecture, i at same time use illustrator and photoshop with rhinoceros many times

Hello - are you sending in crash reports?

-Pascal

how so?

1 Like

Again, for up-to-date information about Rhino for Mac and Apple Silicon, don’t ask users to speculate but see this thread: https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/apple-silicon-and-rhino-for-mac-the-work-continues/
-wim

1 Like

I have the base model 16 inch MacBook Pro (£2399) and I’m running Rhino 5 with no problems.

I design jewellery, so there is often quite a lot of complexity in the pieces, (sometimes hundreds of gemstones at the same time) and it is buttery smooth.

Depending on your use case, the base model might be enough.

1 Like

anthony, thanks for that detailled answer.
why rhino 5 insetead of 6 or 7?

+1 (5 min after a 400 dollar upgrade to R7)

No problem!

I’m still on Rhino 5 only because I haven’t upgraded to the new version yet. I think I am going to buy version 7 next week now I know SubD is there!

All the best!

trying it out on the MacBook Pro m1, was all working fine in wireframe but once in shade view I received the wheel of death until I had to force stop it.

1 Like