Apple Leaving Intel for Custom CPU

https://architosh.com/2018/04/apple-leaving-intel-on-macs-by-2020-impact-on-new-mac-pro/

What does this mean for the future of Rhino for Mac?

I guess it’s early to say, but probably not much, I think Apple will make it’s platform stable and backwards compatible so running it on Intel or Axx should be like running a PC on Intel or AMD. Apple is already running their iPads, phones and AppleTV’s on their own chips. But that is just my guess and expectation though.

1 Like

I’m sure there will be a dongle for it. :smile:

5 Likes

In the broadest terms, it means all the rumors and speculation the past several years were accurate: the ‘modularization’ of computing is well underway.

It means a larger potential market for Apple application developers across a unified device spectrum.

It means that the $1000 iPhone, that some scoffed at as folly, may one day be supplanted by the $2000 +/- ‘iPhone like’ device, that could serve as one’s only computational core device - married to peripherals. You’ll run Rhino (9???) on it, but not on its 6” screen, unless you had a mobile reason to do so.

Perhaps too opaque at present to speculate what a transition might mean for specific market participants, which was your question. Exciting times ahead…

2 Likes

…and, perhaps the most interesting part of the article you posted, Jeff,
is the reference to, and link it contains, about Shapr3D, and how the Parasolid kernel that drives it was written for iOS.

https://architosh.com/2018/03/why-shapr3d-changes-the-ipad-pro-story-from-toy-to-tool/

iOS + MacOS = AppleOS

“The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.”

― Aristotle

Yeah, and Shapr 3D is really intuitive and easy to use - for simpler, “boxy” forms. Free form modelling is a different story, but that might change in a near future. It’s very easy, however, to import and export Rhino models. It’s a good Rhino-companion :+1:

Philip

I suppose Shapr freeform hinges on what can be done with the Parasolid kernel in iOS, as well as a pen interface consistent with what one is able to achieve with a mouse.

Yes, probably.

Philip

Hmm…(smokescreen?)

1 Like

I’ve probably mentioned it before, but I find it odd - and nice - that with my iPad and keyboard cover, I can use many macOS command+ and alt+ shortcuts on iOS.

1 Like