Any way to create a tape over objects?

Anyway to create a tape over object? Like this image (the white tape)
09%20PM

if you know how to make the cable then you can create a srf around it (sweep 1 with twisted sections) and add an ā€œapplydisplacementā€ to give it the bumpy look.

Iā€™d say the fuzzy or hairy look of the cord in the middle would be more challenging and tedious.:grinning:

vray fur and itā€™s a one second setup :wink:

Kangaroo might also help here: Mesh relaxation with Kangaroo2.. lil help?

Hi, thanks for the reply! I am not sure how to create a srf around the twisted section could u please explain it to me?

Search these forums for threads with ā€œropeā€ in the title.

Commands to use include Helix with the ā€œaroundcurveā€ option and Pipe.

I donā€™t think Kangaroo is needed here. Iā€™d do this with a Sweep2 command - using 2 of the helices of the wires as the rail curves and a cross-section you draw:

3 Likes

Hi thanks for the advice. How do you draw the cross-section curves for the sweep?

Further, is there a way to ā€œprojectā€ the cross section curves from a solid so that I can draw the curves needed for sweeping at any height of the twisted rope?

Hello - If I understand, youā€™d need to have the ā€˜tapeā€™ currve in place at the beginning or end of the sweep rails, you canā€™t put them only in the middle and sweep the whole thingā€¦ not sure if that is what you mean.

-Pascal

1 Like

Hi Pascal, I am just unsure of how to even get the cross section and rail curves in the first place to do the sweep. Do I just draw an estimation on the top plane for the cross section and use gumball to bring it down to the desired height?

Not as a single sweep but possible as two sweeps, one in each direction from the cross-section. Select the rails near one end for the first sweep, and other end for the second sweep. But my preference would be to put the cross-section at one end and do a single sweep.

Hello - if you have the ā€˜wiresā€™ in place, you can do something like make a CPlane > 3Points snapping to three of the centers of the wires or the ends of the wire path curves. Then you can make your four-lobed shape in that plane.

TapeMaybe.3dm (210.1 KB)

-Pascal