Any vsr like / alias tools making it to rhino 6?

RH-3527 MatchSrf: Add zebra preview is now available for testing in the latest RhinoWIP. Please give it a try.

Any news on deviation measurements for the MatchSrf command? A Zebra analysis cant tell you the angle of a tangent (G1) match or the deviation of a G0 match, but both are crucial for “Class A” surfaces.

What about zebra analysis from a constant direction?

Best regards!

3 Likes

Hi Cadworx- sorry, no news on the above…

-Pascal

Hi Pascal, thanks for the reply!

Just wanted to add a couple of arguments on why a deviation analysis is important for good and clean surfacing:

First of all, its not only a nice feature to the matching command, its also an important analysis tool for many other rhino tools.

If matching to G2 “fails” ie showing broken highlights, its mostly because of bad positional matching (G0).

If you try to match a surface to a reference surface that is of higher order (given its single span) - or simply put - it has more geometrical information along its matching edge than the matched surface can reproduce, you get bad matching results.

A deviation analysis would reveal this right away.

Example:

If you try to match two secondary surfaces to the edge of a primary surface and one of the secondary surfaces has lets say 0.003mm or 0.004mm of G0 deviation, you wont be able to get get good curvature continuity across all three surafces, resultung in broken hightlights.

By using the matching command as a diviation analysis (picking two surfaces or curves and just reading the deviation without pressing “ok” and matching them) you would know right away which one is the lacking surface. Then raise the order or add CPs until your match is perfect.

Same is true for a partial match or a gaps between surfaces. Even if you cant see the problem zooming in. 0.003mm positional deviation is enough to give you bad result in your highlights.

If your matching is still showing deviations but you maxed out your order, you would split your matching surface to gain more control. This is exspecially important in projected matching since you often match diagonally across a patch.
This way a deviation analysis can help you to get a good patch layout, if you know how to read and use it.

All the problems shown in the “Multiblend” thread are caused by this. You can come up with a crazy patch layout, but you will never get good results unless the G0 and G1 matching of adjacent surfaces is good. But people will never know because there is no way to analyse the faulty surfaces.
With such a tool, those problems would be solved in like 2 minutes.

Another example would be people trying to get their solids watertight. Use the matching command as an analysis tool and you know right away where the proplem is.

You know the feature and washout lines on fancy cars? Those are done using the deviation analysis. You can exactly read (witha deviation comb) how the tangent kink opens up along the edge.

Or if you need a constant gap or angle between surfaces you could use the deviation analysis of the matching command aswell by manipulating your surfaces while the matching command (as ananalysis tool) is running, until you get the desired values.

You can also improve a match by hand if you know how to manipulate your CPs with the matching command running, giving you even better results.

EDIT: I almost forgot this. If your fillets fail, you can detect and improve problems in yor fillets using the matching command with a deviation analysis!

I hope this sheds some light on why a deviation analysis isnt just a fancy feature, its a great tool that adds to the quality of all Rhino tools if used right.

Best regards.

6 Likes

any news on loftcrown? have you looked at alias on this matter? they have it exactly right,…

1 Like

Fully agree. Deviation measurements, zebra and max./min. curvature shading WHILE manipulating control points AND WHILE using the match command are crucial when working on surfaces in product design; a better Alias-like control point manipulation would be ever so much welcome.

1 Like

Well explained. I so very much agree. Essentials.

1 Like

V7

Surface tool improvements (as described ad nauseum)

Sub-D

More robust filleting

That’s it for V7! I’m a simple man with simple needs.

V7 follows 6 in record time. Rhino Designers rejoice. Or…I could be wrong…:thinking:

No? How bout 2 out of 3?

Ok, you win…I’ll take 1 and still love Rhino long time…

Examples…nah, just have @pascal fire up Alias and Fusion and make a list (gut says already has one) and do your best.

Broken Record out…

PS…I forgot…PRETTY PLEASE, thank you :kiss:

2 Likes

Why you don´t buy a Fusion license , after that a Alias license, and of course for the last high end minus mono span surfaces with minus degree 8 and zero control points (perfect handling, but you can´t see it) a hyper CATIA/ICEM license, - sorry - my mistake- you really need something to make all this crazy high end stuff solid- so maybe normal humans can see it. Creo,Solid, Solid Edge, Inventor, Autocad, Top Solid,… nooooo, maybe NX ,Microstation …mhhhh not sure…
maybe you miss some architecture funktions in all of these poor and stupid software to calculate where´s the best place to hide you for the agressive overpriced mcneel enviroment around the hole CAD universe . Ahhh…Nemetschek - right- the two important features- that´s it. But in 2017 you better simulate your ideas in front of everything -a good idea not to waste money because you still need some CAM software features, because Rhino 7 can only be unlocked by you, and only after you mill the more robust V6 filleting tools out of a solid block of dark matter that is implemented in all that kernels of CAD software that is minimun 10 times cheaper than rhino and have 10 times more functions.

Your problem is: this is only possible with MADCAM (Rhino plugin) and you can´t use rhino because rhino doesn´t work because it´s only a faked start screen made by degree 1 Sub-D octapolygons.

The good thing is: there are so many other great Software systems on planet earth, that you now can start living and waste all that money you will save by not using a not working product.

Please check out a simple grasshopper prototype to check the tangency deviation between two surfaces,

continuity.gh (10.5 KB)
graphically…

It’s been years for us to ask for these features and instead lose time with rendering and visualization that is not so much needed!

2 Likes

For you, maybe, for others, it is essential… --Mitch

Yes, of course, we turn Rhino into Keyshot!
Or in Photoshop, if you prefer … eheheehhehe
I would like to remind many people that Rhino was born as a “free form surface modeler”.
Now it almost seems like a rendering engine stuffed with surfaces.

A real revolution will be to provide state-of-the-art modeling tools, not to add dozens and dozens of viewing, rendering, and extraneous features to a modeler: first they sort the fillet (for example), and then you can think about rendering , and beautiful company!

If many would like Rhino to do coffee, it does not mean that Rhino will turn into a coffee machine!
It seems like a very stupid concept for a software of a certain level …

3 Likes

Autodesk offers up to 30% discount for the Alias tools at the moment. Hurry up- it´s only for a limit time.

yeah what a bargain, Alias Surface for only 10.888,50 € per year
and hey they offer 3 years for only 32.665,50 € thats even better…

so better be fast, at those prices its “gone” with the wind
faster than the smell of fresh roles :wink:

2 Likes

Rhino is a fantastic product. I’d go as far as to say that it should be in everyone’s toolbox who needs its class of function.

We bitch and moan to make it better. One person’s better is another’s not better. That’s what makes the world go round. It’s that simple.

Some use multiple products for the purpose of getting the job done, or accomplishing in A what is difficult or impossible in B. It is that simple too.

To each is own!

1 Like

You are right. But often you read some typical words here: Alias, Catia, Solid Works, Creo. It would be nice to have all the most powerfull tools of these in Rhino working the same way without destroying the character of Rhino.
The Rhino concept and Mcneel is not really comparable to systems up to 50 times more expensive. I think Mcneel do the best to fix the problems- and yes - development is not the fastest. But it is how it is.
I can´t expect a Ferrari when i just invest 5000€ in a used car.
And yes, i also want the power of better surface tools. VSR showed us that it´s possible to make a great product more great. But we have to wait. If we need all this now, we must switch the cad system.
Instead of moaning we should be happy about that light and open structure that rhino offers. Think about all the plugins that bring functions to rhino you will not find in any other software solution. Be happy about all the supported file types. Use the money of the low cost of Rhino for other things you like.
That´s it what i feel in my daily work with rhino.

1 Like

Affordable freeform surface modelling with a simple way to write one’s own macros and expand functionality with plug-ins like Grasshopper - this is what I found most enticing and many of my industrial design colleagues, too. Rhino’s render capabilities will never be on par with Maxwell, Arnold or Vray so why even bother?

As far as software pricing is concerned, it’s a moot point, because software cost is one of the smaller cost factors, depending on one’s client base. If you are a hobbyist, DIYer, maker or crafter, then you pick a low-cost software. If you have clients in the FMCG, white goods and public transport business sectors, you pick a higher-cost software. Would you want to design golf clubs for Mizuno with Rhino? Don’t even think about it. Would you design sneakers for Asics with Rhino? Absolutely!

I have never understood why, apparently, everything must cost nothing yet deliver everything. If you don’t want to pay for a Skoda, buy a Dacia. If you don’t want to pay for a Toyota, buy a Hyundai. Why get hung up about a specific software as if it was a family member, one’s precious? It’s just a f*#$ing tool we want to say goodbye to after 17:00 when it’s time to head for the pub ; )

1 Like

Exactly. That’s it, in a nutshell.

That’s what I like Rhino for. Expandability. Plug-ins. Macros.