Any plans to fix RAYTRACED mode or is it now where its gonna stay?

Toshiaki_Takano -

If you have RH-5, NEON is available at NO CHARGE from the McNeel site. Its a plugin, and IF your video card is AT LEAST reasonably recent, and IF the drivers have been updated, you will get GOOD results VERY quickly. I set a stop-point at 30 seconds as further processing results are only marginally better at end of render. I see < 30 SECONDS per frame, so I stop my run at 30 seconds. Interestingly, NEON FULLY supports ALL forms of -5 NATIVE materials (including Transparency AND Incidence of Refraction) with NO FURTHER MODIFICATION REQUIRED.

All the best to you GOING FORWARD !

-C.

Should have mentioned if going to use the raytraced, amount of CUDA cores directly impacts to render times.

I’m currently using V6 BETA and learning Raytraced since that seems the way it’s headed. If Neon was to be supported I would look into it as well.
Main reason I started using V6 WIP/BETA is for 4K support. Couldn’t get it working with V5 on my PC.

Just a quick clarification to clear up the confusion:

• Neon won’t be available.
  • Raytraced (Cycles) isn’t free as in free beer. It is part of Rhino 6. You’ll pay for Rhino 6. Thus you pay for Raytraced.
1 Like

“Main reason I started using V6 WIP/BETA is for 4K support. Couldn’t get it working with V5 on my PC.”

Yeah, that may be an issue, but 1. Not the topic of THIS particular conversation and 2. IF you’ve found any practical use for 4k support other than animations you want to run using maximum standard Hi-Def, I’d like to learn what that may be. Standard STATIC Product RENDERS already take good advantage of ultra-high resolutions available via even MID-Range cards (my preference Nvidea but ATI has excellent options as well … ) .

IF your interest IS Animations, BONGO-2 does not yet support RH-6 (altho I expect it to by the time RH-6 is released as a commercial product), so you’d be forced to an outside Animator anyway (C4D an EXCELLENT choice as MUCH faster than the competing AutoDesk product), AGAIN obviating the value of 4k.

Add to THAT the MASSIVE timing hit, and no matter HOW MANY “CUDA Cores” you hve, you’re forced once AGAIN into the same cycle of chasing PROMISES of functionality being told by developers that the problem ONCE AGAIN bounces back to YOUR video card - " … maybe we’ll have a functional version of our SOFTWARE for you in a year or two. But go ahead and pay a THOUSAND DOLLARS for the video card, because we EXPECT it to be able to run our version by THEN … " . Of course THEN they’ve thrust you right BACK once AGAIN into the chase cycle because it doesn’t QUITE run as promised so " … you have to upgrade AGAIN … " .

No, NEON is ALREADY THERE. At ~30secs PER FRAME , no matter HOW many “CUDA CORES” you have, no “Raytraced” is going to catch THAT, as they are TRAPPED in a cycle of better and better “QUALITY” features in order to seal the next set of newer and grater “features” with the (consistently) recurring conundrum of the Feature/Power chase. Even MORE SO, Standard RENDERED Viewport ESPECIALLY with Shadows AND Ambient occlusion turned ON (increasing the per-frame time from ZERO point ZERO (0.0) secs per frame to around 4 secs / frame (!!!) gives a MASTERFUL RESULT that makes DIRECT USE of BASIC RHINO Material settings (INCLUDING attached materials) a COMPELLING option.

IF however, you’re intending to use RHINO + BONGO for Commercial Animations REQUIRING that level of quality, you MIGHT want to rethink RH/BO as your solution set anyway. While BOTH are CAPABLE, there are other options that aren’t still fighting their way through the woods …

Toshiaki_Takano - I hope your journey ends well ! I’ve found RHINO a COMPELLING SOLUTION to my Design needs, and MY application is NEW Commercial/Industrial Product Development and these issues ESPECIALLY Time/vs./Quality makes this a CRITICAL Issue for me. WITH Rhino’s MASTERFUL support staff, I have been able to provide my Clients EXCELLENT absolutely COMPELLING results and I’m CONFIDENT you too will find the solution that works for YOUR situation a STRONG advantage to you in YOUR professional application !

ALL the BEST to you and yours from Texas ! -

C.

Your text is unreadable as a result of the liberal use of capslock. Try your next message without all those caps and I guarantee you will bring more people to your cause and get better results.

12 Likes

i can remember you wrote that recently. it seems this moment has come?

if you didnt read the text and a cynical comment is all you had to add, then i am not sure if you should not start trying a few of those caps locks yourself.

1 Like

Say what? I tried to read the text but I’m not motivated by all the yelling.

This is forum is a civil place, it’s a rare thing on the internet. If you and the cfee want to turn it into the rest of the web you can continue to try but I think you’ll find it a less effective route to get support.

5 Likes

I agree. I find those posts completely unreadable so I skip them. Maybe it’s just my dyslexia, but I just can’t process them.

Gustavo

3 Likes

usually i refer to some sort of decency by all humour, still some remarks are not necessary. if somebody comes to you trying to communicate with a strange accent, will you react the same? i have seen him writing like this before, its not a bid deal. read through it, its informational and humorous i liked it.

EVERYTHING is BIG ASS YA’LL in TEXAS, right @cfee ?

But seriously, think as a designer and think simply about readability. You want to entice the reader with your style, as best as possible. Don’t want to be ‘all hat and no cattle’, yup!

The caps thing just hurts my brain too, and because I’m lazy, I skip your posts as well.

Just a suggestion. I’m interested in what you have to say.

2 Likes

i seriously wonder how people got that far down the thread without reading it. maybe we should rename it Any plans to fix my CAPSLOCK mode or is it now where its gonna stay? if complaining about it is such fun :wink:

The subject of this topic unfortunately has shifted.:disappointed:
Please back to the main issue: anyone else with experiences and/or thoughts (either positive or negative) on “Raytraced” mode?

3 Likes

One of the other threads ( Rendering Workflow / Quality ) may also be of interest.

Entice the reader with style. Hhmmm… OR I could rely on my “style” to filter out the less capable, not willing to read, think, interpret and respond SUBSTANTIVELY. Style, maybe not so much. SUBSTANCE yeah - THAT’s the ticket. ANY substance to add ? ANY ? YES? NO ? All the BEST - C.

Don’t HAVE to be “MOTIVATED”. Just knowledgeable, capable and willing to help. The CAPS were to emphasize salient points. Sorry you missed that, but thanks for trying. Checked back to see if there was any forward progress. Nope.Downloaded the NEW Release. Gonna give it a try, will report back when able - Thanks - C.

Sorry, couldn’t find answer fast enough though going through the thread…
1)Is neon for v6 coming/out?
2)Is it free to use?

Let me help you out. 'sall good: Actually, its pretty simple.
You take a deep breath, actually take a moment to READ the approximately one paragraph worth of input, pause again, THINK about what you’ve read, and respond with a substantive, well thought out answer. Prevents all the drama. As for NEON, I have HIGH HOPES (oh rats, the dreaded caps-lock key again. RATS ;=) ! ) that the replacement (Raytraced) will soon work as well. NEON was FAST (uh-oh) accurate and really very useful. I’m CONFIDENT the replacement will be too, as it matures. To require a thousand-dollar video card to mitigate the issue, however, is really no solution. SO- I PERSONALLY am making the move to -6 (another EXCELLENT [of RATS - AGAIN !] McNeel offering ! ) and then when I need FAST high quality animations, I simply drop back to -5, where I have NEON as an option. Its not as FAST as RENDERED-mode Viewport, which in MANY ways is just FANTASTIC) but its FAR faster than RAYTRACED and produces absolutely STUNNING results ! All the numbers are included in posts above, so any real questions are answered there. As NEON was a discrete product developed for use in RH-4/5, and NOT contracted to be brought forward, the developers decided to try to put together for us a more complete RTR solution. Again, I have HIGH hopes for their eventual SUCCESS ! All the best from (yes things really ARE bigger in … ) Texas ! - C.

Answer:
NEON, as far as I know, based on some fairly extensive and detailed conversations with developers, etc., unless there has been a change in policy or contract is NOT expected for -6.
Yes it WAS free to use.

• RAYTRACED is the INTENDED replacement. It promises more accurate renders, and while its not NEARLY as fast, along with Ambient Occlusion now being offered, REALLY promises some wonderful potential !

Conclusion: As of the LAST time I tried Raytraced, if you want good, slower and never past SOME level of noise in the result, Raytraced can be an excellent option. I just downloaded the newest FULL Release (-6) and intend on putting through its paces. More as it develops … .

For ME, if I NEED something approaching that level, I just drop back to -5 where I have my NEON running …
Hope this helps ! All the BEST to you and yours, from Texas - C.

This is a big show stopper for schools. Neon was great, quick & simple, in a couple of minutes students had a great 3D render. V6 Ray trace takes a long time and is not viable for quite a few reasons

• Classes last an hour and then the system is logged out … Loses work
  • 12 year olds in Neon got a quick wow factor on a render which is needed to promote enthusiasm
  • Schools cannot afford expensive video cards
  • Autocad gives software free (I think it is not a great package for learning) but the render is quick and great

I think Rhino is great but BUT these constraints are putting it out of the market to get the next generation on-board.

I have taken a students render of pikatu which took minute to render in Neon in V5, it is now up to minute 25 and cycle 316. I guess I’ll use Rhino but teach students fusion 360… Very Sad

1 Like