Another SunStudy bugreport Rhino 7 SR5

Hi All. I have previously reported inconsistency in the output from Rhino’s SunStudy “Animation tool”.
This is another example of the same issue. The RenderPreview looks OK but the FullRender is bad.
I have tested with different variations of geo-location, date, time of day and varying time-increments.
The inconsistency is the same across all experiments, and I really wish for a solution for this issue.

Kl_06-22.zip (12.9 MB) Kl_06-22006

Sete_Promenade_NoSkylight_Cropped.3dm (8.2 MB)

Also related to product-design: https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-61566
Previously discussed with simple examples at:

SunStudy Rhino 7 bug? - #2 by Erazmataz

Hello - without a test file to reproduce this, there is not much we can do.

-Pascal

The problem is the same with any file and any geo-location, date and time. If the Sun & Sky is the only active lighting. The shadows “jumps” from hard to soft at random intervals in the selected Sun-Study. It was also the case in 6.

Previous examples provided was a “tea-light”.
I can WeTransfer a large file if you provide me with a link. The Discourse-system ignored it.

Kind regards
Tim Elkær

man. 10. maj 2021 kl. 16.52 skrev Pascal Golay via McNeel Forum <mcneel@discoursemail.com>:

Hello - It would just be useful to have a simple file that already shows the problem - a box is fine, but knowing your settings and your setup for sun animation to make the bad thing happen is what I am after. Rendered mode or full render, timing, etc etc.

-Pascal

I just uploaded a smaller file. Thankyou for looking into this issue.
Below are listed my SysInfo + List of loaded (NonMcNeel plugins):

Rhino 7 SR5 2021-4-10 (Rhino 7, 7.5.21100.03001)
License type: Commercial, build 2021-04-10
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.19041 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Unplugged [40% battery remaining] ~53 minutes left

Hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: Intel(R) UHD Graphics (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 9-5-2020 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 4-12-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 466.11
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Video pass-through to primary display device

I don’t do boxes :slight_smile:
Kl_02-20_6_fph.zip →

OddLight in the interval kl. 02-20 at all the following times:
Kl. 04:10 + 04:20 + 05:10 + 05:30 + 06:10 + 06:30 + 17:30
Sete_Promenade_NoSkylight_Cropped.3dm (8.2 MB)

Hi Tim -

I have added this thread to the open bug report RH-61566 which is currently on the 8.x list.
-wim

Hello again. I have now moved to Rhino 7 SR 8 + Enscape 3.1 and experience the same problem with the Rhino Sun at arbitrary times of the day. In this example from 16. september - it is around kl. 12:00.
16xLogo_Shadow_Enscape_3.1.pdf (380.4 KB)

Rhino 7 SR8 2021-7-15 (Rhino 7, 7.8.21196.05001, Git hash:master @ XXX)
License type: Not For Resale Lab, build 2021-07-15
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.19042 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Unplugged [96% battery remaining] ~94 minutes left

Hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: Intel(R) UHD Graphics (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 3-30-2021 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 6-21-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 471.11
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Video pass-through to primary display device

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 6-21-2021
Driver Version: 30.0.14.7111
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Hi Tim -

I take it that you are referring to the issue with hard and soft shadows when running sun study?
I tested that fix in Rhino 7.7 and again now in Rhino 7.10. With the “tea-light” file that you provided, everything seems to work as intended. If you can reproduce a shadow issue with Enscape and V-Ray not loaded, please provide a simple scene that I can test.
-wim

Hi Wim. Thanks. I will test again without Enscape 3.1 and V-Ray 5 loaded.
I have during the testing wondered about the CreateSunStudy North-angle.
I need to specify it as “Clockwise from Y” and It’s not possible to set DST.
When having a Project North set to 296.6 degrees from X-axis (0 degrees)
I only get the correct shadows if I type in the North to be 117.85 from Y(!)

Bredgade-75.3dm (11.6 MB)

Hi. It looks like the soft/hard-shadow issue has been solved by @Nathan, which is really nice. Thanks.
I would like to return to the question about the lack of DST-support + actual orientation of the Sun and the (lack of) precision of the sunrise, meridian and sunset compared to timeanddate.com for my location (Kopenhagen, Denmark). As I understand it, it is NOT, needed to have the RhinoSun set to On, when performing a OneDaySunStudy? - I need to know the exact time of shadows cast on the street running vertically through the provided example. I have rotated the model-north to match the actual north.

When using the normal RhinoSun, the precise time with no shadows on the street is kl. 14:30 on 16. Sept. 2021. Similarly the Sun should be in South at kl. 13:05 on the same date and East at kl. 07:30. According to the website timeanddate.com the sun should rise in CPH at kl. 06:43 and set at kl. 19:24.
The Zip-folder contains still-images for every 5 min between kl. 04.30 & kl. 19:00 - from Rhino 7 SR9.
The PDF-file show 12 snapshots from Enscape 3.1 (from Rhino 7 SR9) - around 2 hours difference(!)
Using Enscape 3.1 the street (Bredgade) is in full sunlight at kl. 14:30 and full shadow at kl. 16:00.

16.09.2021_Dawn-to-Dusk_Bredgade_75.pdf (248.6 KB)
450x450px_80pct.zip (7.5 MB)

That’d be me, @nathanletwory :slight_smile:

This sounds like timezone and such settings.

See this discussion for some ideas, in case it helps for you too:

Hi again. In the SetOneDay SunStudy you can only specify the GPS Location in Lattitude and Longitude (decimal degrees). You have no control of the timezone or weather DaylightSavingTime is active or not.

For now I would suggest to use first the Sun dialog with the longitude and latitude information you have, then see what the time is you get without daylight saving enabled. This will give you an idea of the time you get for your location. Adjust the input time for your animation based on your needs to account for daylight saving.

That said, I’m adding this thread to the bug report that already exists. The command should have an option for setting daylight saving: RH-62524 One day sun study time difference, just like the Rhino sun dialog already has.

1 Like