Another BlendSrf Wish

I really wish blendsrf could be a little more implicit, and used in an experimental sort of way. For example, blending from one surface edge to another - it would be nice for it to use a ‘further along’ isocurve if that makes sense. I have faked something in the below gif with extendsrf. The little bug with blendsrf with history is just a coincidence, but for sure not a very good result after a couple of extends.

So essentially, rather than choosing where to trim and putting the blend in, to create the blendsrf and move its start/end position along the edge, referencing the isocurve section. I’ve tried to show what that would look like by using exendsrf to setback the start of the blend.

blendsrfwish.3dm (399.1 KB)
blendsrfwish

Does that make sense?

Hi Jonathan - yeah, I’ve had this wish as well - basically is it a BlendSrf to a curve on a surface, like MartchSrf can do. If the curve is an isocurve or untrimmed edge, you’d get to play as you suggest. I suspect this not too hideous to implement - you can get partway there lofting two isocurves, and MatchSrf with History with OnSurface=Yes and then sliding the isocurves (MoveExtractedIsocurve)

-Pascal

I’m up for this feature as well! Count on me!

… just another occasion to tell McNeel to have a look at the good old VSR/Autodesk shape modeling plugin…
VSR had this option from the very beginnng (for untrimmed surfaces).

And while you’re at it: please have a look at how VSR was able to set different continouity conditions at start and end points of each edge…

Aha, exactly that. But yes you’d be sliding those isocurves about as part of the blendsrf command. Obviously this sort of method lacks handles and strength doesn’t it.

Personally, since I find the best filleting strategy (when stuff gets complex) is to think of stuff in a more ‘loose’ manner with the transitions kind of hovering around, running filletsrf etc, and then joining edges up, this kind of freeform blending would be so much more helpful. Because, as you say, next logical step would be to then do part of an isocurve, or even not an isocurve, but I mean let’s try and walk first. Also doing it between surfaces within a polysurface, that coud be cool.

Well that’s good!

When do you think we might be able to see something like this in Rhino? Maybe a few little surfacing efficiency procedures?