Animation Sets? Hide/Show?

Hi new to Bongo. Really frustrated with the UI. I’m trying to animate an object in which I apply one animation, after the first animation the object needs to split apart and those pieces need to move into other operations. Which means each of those pieces need a new relationship. I’d like to introduce a copy of the “end” result of the first operation, so that I can move to the next set of operations (with different relationships), but I can’t reliably introduce a new object into the timeline and hide the first one. I realize that breaking the animation into scenes would be most efficient, but the “Animation Sets” is totally unclear how it works, nor can I find any decent tutorials on this.

Why does “visibility” in the keyframes editor have two unlabeled checkboxes? they are both checked, the object still disappears during playback. Really not following the logic of this software.

It’s a bit hard to grasp your explanation on “other operations” and “new relationships”. I also cannot image what you mean by “introduce a new object into the timeline and hide the first one”. Could you please show some stills on what you are trying to animate (like the object splitting into pieces)? When the design is confidential you can mail me directly at luc@mcneel.com

Info on Animation Sets can be found here: Rhino - Animation Sets, but I guess Animation Sets are not the answer to your problem.

Luc

I agree the double checkboxes of Visibility can be confusing at first. Improvement is imminent

Every animation parameter of every object has a primary checkbox in the KeyframeEditor.

The box indicates whether the animation datum of the parameter is determined by the concerning keyframe. Checking the box of a parameter allows editing the data and makes it imperative. Unchecking a box will gray-out the parameter. The value the input-box of a grayed-out parameter is the one valid at this point in time (as defined by previous and following keyframe)

Parameters which have an on/off status instead of a variable value have a second checkbox. For Visibility (which can be only “on” or “off”) the second box indicates the object’s “visible” or “invisible” status at the current keyframe (marked = visible, unmarked = invisible).

So there are 4 possibilities:
image This keyframe makes the object visible
image The object is visible at but not affected by the current keyframe
image This keyframe makes the object invisible
image The object is invisible at but not affected by the current keyframe

The concept of the double boxes becomes maybe somewhat more clear when you look at i.e. a material keyframe in which various parameter have an on/off status.

Luc