Animating with V-ray in Grasshopper

Hello,

I’m learning to animate with V-ray in Grasshopper in Rhino 7.

I’ve learned how to use the Timeline Node Component. I see that the Timeline governs the complete animation.

As of now, I managed to animate a camera (following a path) and make an object move or rotate, but this all happens at the same time during the entire animation length.

What I’m trying to do is to animate different things in different orders at different times. Not everything happening at the same time, which is determined by the Timeline.

Example, I want the camera to move around an object, once the camera finishes, I want the camera to stop and start moving or rotating a part of the object. (a door for example), changing a color of a material or the intensity of a light.

I’ve researched all tutorials I can find, there are not many, and it seams that this can not be done for now? Before I go crazy, can you tell me if this is possible?

If there is, can anyone point me to a video tutorial or written one that explanes the process please? Or maybe have more explanation on how to use the Timeline in more depth?

I’m still not sure how to use the Frame input and output yet.

Thanks

Assigned to Grasshopper category

Thanks John

Hi,

Unfortunately the timeline component does not support keyframes yet. So you need to have some sort of “conditions” on the parameters accept the Timeline’s current frame or current fraction.
For example if you need an object to move from frame 200 to frame 300, then you set up either a graph mapper, V-Ray graph or a simple expression component that simply ignores values before 200 and after 300.
Something along these lines:

here the V-Ray graph will remap your current frame (or current fraction) to 0 before 0.25 and 1 after 0.57. You can leverage that information further to “cut off” any transformation (or whatever you’re animating) before 0.25th and after 0.57th parts of your animation.

Thanks! This looks promising, I’ve been in contact with Chaos team also and they suggested V-ray Graph also. Wil try it asap.

You can do pretty much anything with timeline components.
I generally use it to animate through a series of pre-cached geometry iterations from Kangaroo or Flexhopper and render it together, it works well if you incorporate Dendro’s Voxels as well.

to cache these geometries I usually de-serialize the meshes in pancake and export them as ASCII files , then use the timeline to pick the current frame and concatenate it with the filename to import.