Animate using deformation tools

I’m trying to animate an object using one of the deformation tools, “twist”, but with no success, is it possible to do it in Bongo 2.0?

Thanks,

-Bernardo

I do not think so,

I saw a video you can do twisting using Kangaroo if you don’t mind using Grasshopper.

@DanielPiker should be able to help you, but you’ll have to provide some more information. Your question as it is, is quite generic.

Thank you Ivelin,

Yes, I just find out it’s not possible without the plugins.

Best

@bevmo128 It’s possible, but not at the direct way. I tested it here:

• convert the object to a dense mesh
  • turn on control points
  • move the time line slider to the needed position and enable animation at the time line
  • select control points and apply a twist

Now, I can move the slider and see the twist.

ONLY way I found to do it was using HISTORY.

No “plugins”, no insects, and no custom rewrites :

Actually, your example mimics my situation almost perfectly. What I did was make 2 4x-polygons (the one on the bottom was actually a rectangle … ) . I then TURNED ON “HISTORY”, made “Surfaces” inside the 2 using the “_PlanarSrf” command, then lofted the 2 closed polygons to form the sides. With HISTORY on, I BONGO-Rotated the upper square (NOT the SURFACE, the square “curve” ;=/ ! ), and everything followed correctly !

By the way, in that assembly, I also needed a hydraulic hose to stay connected as my cylinder swung on the bolt-axis at one end.
Here I used 2 circles, connected them with a centerline curve, using “sweep-1” , and made the circle representing the end of the hose connected to the base of the swiveling cylinder a hierarchy-daughter of the swiveling cylinder, careful to move the object-pivot of the circle (NOT the CIRCLE, just its PIVOT) to the pivot-center (mounting bolt) of the pivoting hydraulic cylinder, and align the rotate axis of BOTH the hydraulic cylinder AND the circle-pivot axis along the pivot-bolt centerline. I moved the pivot of the swiveling cylinder to the same point, aligned the pivot-axis the same way, (remember the circle we just moved the pivot of is a daughter of the cylinder AND a HISTORY-connected end of the hose.

When I animated the pivoting cylinder, the circle followed, and with HISTORY, the hose connected to the circle re-calced to follow. I had to set the frame delay to 2 seconds to let BONGO “catch up” but no loss, as later I ran the animation using NEON with STUNNING (!) results - (discussed below … ) . Looked like a hydraulic hose connected to the end of a pivoting hydraulic cylinder ! Pretty COOL ! It wasn’t “Physics”-accurate, but it helped sell the project ($$), as it was accurate enough to convey the intent ! AND - PLUS-point: With NEON turned on, and with less than 30-seconds per rendered frame (set stop-time for NEON to 30-seconds and frame-delay in BONGO to 32 seconds - an extra second for good measure ;=) ! ) and I had a 90-second at 25 FPS GORGEOUS ANIMATION ready a couple of hours later !

I hear that with NEON’s R-6 replacement “Raytraced”, I can have a nice result of the very same thing ready by THURSDAY instead of right after lunch … if I’m willing to accept the noise in the resulting animation, but I hear there’s a bug-fix setting I could try out if I can live with waiting 'til Thursday … :=( !

I can help with details if needed, but I tried giving enuff clues to get you going. Try these out, and see if they help ? Good luck,and post back with results ? Thanks !

AND - All the VERY best to you and yours - from Texas - Chuck.