And now for the final hard part? Curved stair case handrail

It seems like there is no need for the part that is giving trouble in your example. Couldn’t the upper post just be lower and have rail come in on a straight run?
I could see it in other cases, maybe that is why your trying here? Looks like you got a lot of good help. —Mark

That would change the design intent, which may or may not be okay.

I saw that to put the ballistars in the middle of the rail, would mean that the rail misses the top post.

Brenda, I think you misread my earlier post. I did not try to model this in Solidworks. My reference to Solidworks was that on my first ever use of the program, I ran into a bug and thought for days that I was doing something wrong. SolidWorks tech support eventfully confirmed that I had found a bug for them. I wanted to be sure this wasn’t the case in my beginning use of Rhino.

As I mentioned earlier, this stair has been already been built. I am just trying to re-create it as built in Rhino as an exercise for my own edification.

How precise and accurate was the physical build compared to the accuracy you are seeking with Rhino?

Funny that you ask. Not close to accurate at all. This was built for a TV show. Quality craftsmen in the town where we filmed were few. Even fewer familiar with the needs of film construction. I had the actual stairs and curved handrails built by an excellent film construction crew in Florida. They then shipped it to our location. The local crew installed and finished it. Sadly, they turned it into an abomination that was comedic in it’s badness. However, it will only ever be seen on a TV screen so the poor work will be invisible to most eyes.

That said, I had just bought Rhino and hoped to use it to model the staircase. I quickly realized it was way beyond my abilities and would require more than the few hours I had. I jumped back to Sketchup.

I hope to eventually finish this model in Rhino, and you can expect to see me back here when I attack the volute.

Thanks to all for your time and patience.

Nicholas

I feel your pain. Gotta love showbiz!

Dennis

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve never seen that one. Pretty accurate, though the Art Director I know who quit moved to Montana to do architecture. I guess dealing with building codes, watertight roofs, and real plumbing and electric was a much easier task.

If any one ever does another revision, they need to add a pane that says: Set designers explode into fisticuffs over AutoCad/Vectorworks/Rhino/Sketchup.

Yes, my colleagues and have the bruises to prove it!