Amd radeon hd 8670m open gl issue

Here’s what AMD just wanted me to check with you guys…

"The important thing is to get their Driver packaging version-- They can find it by Right clicking on their desktop and clicking on AMD Control Center and clicking on Information/Software. They have gotten the latest driver from Dell.com which to us will most likely be on older driver vs. what we post on amd.com. However, they may be using the latest from amd.com, but would really like to confirm by getting this info: (see red boxes in screenshot). Second, If they are using switchable graphics, they can disable it to see if they results are different. "

See image…

hey jeff thanks for your help!

here s my setup:

Lenovo Thinkpad S531
Windows 7 Professional (x64) Build 7601
Intel HD Graphics 4000
AMD Radeon HD 8670M

Hi Jeff,

Many thanks for your answer. I’m deep in a project right now (on my old laptop due to the new one not being fully setup yet) but during the weekend I’ll try to report back with this info.

-Willem

Here are my machine setup

Hi @jeff Jeff,

FWIW:
It seems at least 2 affected systems have a switchable setup between the AMD and Intel card:

As for my driver;I just updated it with AMD’s “driver verification tool” and after an update. I still get the behaviour of “confused” viewports when more than 3 are present.

EDIT: I did not find that with less that 4 viewports open there were no issues.
Window selecting in a viewport with just 2 viewports resulted in the viewport getting frozen.
I’m not able to test rigorously right now, but thought it was worth to mention that the 3 to 4 viewport threshold to cause issues might be coincidence or symptomatic.

You state that you need to “personally sit down on a machine that contains Rhino’s source code and reproduce the problem”. I’m still in transition between my old and new laptop so I can make it available to you. If you know of a way to remotely scrutinize and test my laptop, just shout. (maybe a MS remote desktop connection?)

Thanks
-Willem

hi Jeff…
i have the problems mentioned in the post 4 View Visualization Problem on new Samsung notebook

i have the notebook “Samsung Series 7 Chronos 770Z5E” with hybrid video card AMD Radeon HD 8870M + Intel HD Graphics 4000. (Rhino use RADEON because i force it by driver panel)
The driver is offer by Samsung directly.

i hope you can resolve the problem…

So far here is the status from AMD (and note, this only applies to FirePro card users… I have no update yet on the Radeons).

“Hi, Jeff: we had a similar symptom on a different app when using a 13.152.2 driver and that issue is fixed in 13.251.1… do you think it’s possible for the customer to upgrade the driver to 13.251.1?—I can provide the driver but this driver will be posted on amd.com this month… I can provide earlier than this… if not, we can try internally to see if we can repro.”

So if you have a FirePro card and are experiencing issues, and want to try something sooner than later, then please let me know and I can try to get you the driver… But as indicated, the driver will be posted some time this month, so you might just want to wait until then.

I’m trying to find out if there were similar issues/reports for the Radeon side of things…

-Jeff

OT: Do you know if the “AA fix” has been incorporated with the official drivers now?
If so I would test out the V7900 again.

anything new?

news?

Hi Eternal Side,

This is the latest information I have read:

HTH
_Willem

1 Like

Hi All,

I finally heard back from AMD on this… They were able to reproduce the problem and fix it! They say there will be a new release around 4/10. That was for the FirPro release, but they say the same fix will be in the Radeon drivers as well, they just haven’t given me a release date on those yet. Please keep an eye out for it and let us know if you’re still having issues. I’ve been able to confirm that the drivers do fix the problems here so hopefully this is the last we see of this one.

Thanks for all your feedback and patience on this one.

-J

2 Likes

hi,

just wanted to let you know, that I installed the latest Beta Driver from the AMD Homepage (14.4 RC V1.0, April 17.) but still no changes to the flickering on the radeon hd 8670m…

I hope a real fix is being released soon!

edit: updated driver to official 14.4 today but also doesn’t change anything!

This problem started for me when I upgraded from windows 8 to windows 8.1. With windows 8 I was only seeing the Intel graphics card. With windows 8.1 I am seeing the AMD graphics card but when I open Rhino 4 views the flickering goes on.
I upgraded from w7 to w8 to w8.1 running on HP i7 and HD Radeon 6700M.

Curtis

Is there any word on how soon we will have a fix for this problem? I am finding it very frustrating and time consuming trying to model a piece with this constant flickering. I have to be working with only one view being visible at a time. I really need a fix.

The last work I hear was AMD had a fix in the pipeline for release, but I have not actually seen a beta or release candidate of this driver fix.
It’s in AMD’s hands.

OHH OHH OHH looks like dell just released an updated driver from AMD for my Firepro. Hope it fixes the problems.

SUCCESS! I can finally use 4 viewports again. Awesome.

I visited the AMD forum and see were HP posted a solution. That is to configure the switchable graphics to the fixed mode in the bios. I tried it and it is working for me.

I can confirm that with the latest beta driver from the amd homepage I can finally use the 4 viewports (AMD 14.7 RC3). The official driver though doesn’t solve the problem (yet)…