AMD Radeon chances?

After installing the last update Rhino 6 stop working because of my AMd Radeon videocard, are there any chances to get it work further?

Hi Hotsteppahh-

We don’t know yet, but it is doubtful. In the latest RhinoWIP we have prevented machines with GPUs that we cannot support from running Rhino 6 for Mac. At the moment, this list is limited to:

• AMD Radeon HD 6750M
  • AMD Radeon HD 6770M
  • AMD Radeon HD 6970M

which are - if I’m not mistaken - found in older iMacs.

Which of the above GPUs do you have? Were you previously able to use the RhinoWIP in Shaded or Rendered mode without issues? If we have blacklisted one of the above by mistake, we would like to know that immediately.

Hi, Dan!

I have AMD Radeon HD 6750M, yes before the last version i’m able to use rhino, but of course with bugs in shaded and rendered mode, arctic mode works nearly ok.
I have the same problem, like here WIP for Mac viewports are distorted

@hotsteppahh Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we cannot support that GPU in Rhino 6 for Mac.

Hello, I am using an iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) with AMD Radeon HD 6970M and just installed Rhino for Mac Version 6 (6.24.20079.23332, 2020-03-19). It seems to be working without problems!

Can you please let me know what options won’t work with this card?

I assume the rendering is not using GPU but CPU, is that correct?

Rhino WIP currently does not support OpenCL/GPU rendering on the Mac in Rhino WIP. I’ll be looking into it at some point, but the outlook isn’t very optimistic. Rather looks like we will have to start working on a Metal-based backend of sorts to get the most out of GPUs on the Mac for Raytraced.

2 Likes