AMD ProRender Rhino Beta Plugin...any info?

Just updated it:

I installed by dragging on to viewport and restarted Rhino after installation completed. In Rhino Options>Plug-ins it indicates Version 1.0.0.1.

Should I have removed the previous version before installing Radeon ProRender 1.1?

I don’t think the actual version number was changed.

Does the “ProRender_SelectDevice” command autocomplete?

• Andy

Hi Andy, I didn’t see that. Something popped up about ProRender when I restarted after the install, but didn’t stay on screen long enough for me to read it. This is what is shown in the command line when I first start Rhino 6.

Loading ProRender, version Jan 18 2018 13:24:55
Loading Rhino Render, version 1.50, Jan 9 2018, 11:29:55
Command: -_New
Name of the Rhino template file to open ( None Browse ): “C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Localization\en-US\Template Files\Small Objects - Millimeters.3dm”

Thats the right version,.

When I change the viewport to ProRender the object (a simple cube) disappears. I have a Radeon HD 7970 and GeForce GTX 660 installed in the computer. The GTX 660 is disabled. Radeon software version 17.12.1.

hi there,

just installed the latest version of prorender for rhino from github. upon initialization of prorender rhino 6 just crashes. are there any limitations i should know of? currently running under nvidia gt 640. do i need additional software to run prorender?

kind regards

ante

You may want to ensure you have absolutely the latest Nvidia driver. The OpenCL implementation from Nvidia isn’t the best - it very well may be that it causes the crash. ProRender has been made by AMD for their own GPUs.

The Blender, 3D Max and Maya plug-ins have been updated. Any idea when the ProRender plug-in will be updated in Rhino?

1 Like

…and while we’re at it, any plans for a Mac plugin? Thank you!

https://community.amd.com/community/radeon-pro-graphics/blog/2018/11/09/radeon-prorender-on-macos-get-the-beta-now

2 Likes

This would be really cool! Any updates on this?

couldn’t find a Rhino version of ProRender anywhere… the GitHub links also seem to not work anymore. Does anyone have more information on ProRender for Rhino (+RH for Mac)?

1 Like

Confirming can’t find - don’t believe such exists presently. Just recently installed ProRender into Blender on Mac OS and played for only a few minutes. No opinion yet other than - hmm, that seemed to crash disproportionately high…

FWIW - Keyshot remains the most productive rendering option, all things considered, on Mac OS at present, IMO.

High hopes for Cycles / Rhino Mac in future (steady progress to date) especially if presumed benefit of Metal were to come to fruition. No clue about the probability of that.

Or, considering that, often, money-talks-and-bs-walks (even among the open source crowd :thinking:) perhaps this might eventually move the needle on Mac OS/Cycles/Rhino???

Someone is working on a ProRender. It’ll be published when ready.

No Metal port is currently being worked on to my knowledge. At least nothing in the blender.chat cyvles coders channel.

That of course would be dope… I am looking around a bit for a decent renderer (maybe also compatible with Metal - like: OctaneX, ProRender, RedShift (?))
And regarding Cycles, I read that there could be support for GPU rendering with Vulkan… Let´s see what the future brings.

Sounds good, thank you!

Thank you for this insight!

Cross platform if ALL the parties play ball, perhaps…

Yea, we’re all simply maze bound cheese chasing pawns within a long running (perpetual?) leapfrog battle for dominance between entities small, large, and largest (aka competition)… :wink:

1 Like

That’s good to know. I really want to use emissive lights and the commercial renderers that support it are far too expensive for a hobby project.

Sorry to pick on you but I always laugh when I read something like this. This has to be the only “hobby” where people don’t expect to spend unholy amounts of money. Commercial renderers that work with Rhino cost on the order of hundreds of dollars, maybe annually. Compared to the costs of say woodworking, old cars, 40k figures, going to sporting events, or even comic books, that’s…well it’s not nothing but it’s well within norms.

No arguing that they are appropriately priced for what they do. They are serious tools that are necessary for a lot of different jobs. However I use Rhino professionally for design and modeling for CAD CAM. Nicely lit renders aren’t needed for my work projects. The price of a renderer is more than I want to spend for how little I’d use it. Re: woodworking it would be like expecting to pay hundreds of dollars or a subscription for a palm sander (about $50 in real life).

That is soooo right! :smile:
Buying a new lense to your camera can easily be compared to buying a renderer for Rhino.

4 Likes