AMD ProRender Rhino Beta Plugin...any info?

@bisenberger, only a dev who wrote the integration can help you i guess. I have the Beta but it is installed in the Wip folder. My SystemInfo almost has the same for graphics as yours posted above. One difference is i’m on Win7x64 and it lists only 128Mb of Ram.

_
c.

@clement, I hope they come up with a solution soon. Windows 7 was one of the best releases, if not the best. Thanks for your help (again :grinning:).

I installed the HD7970 in a different computer running Work In Progress (6.0.17304.10081, 10/31/2017) Beta. I let Windows 10 Pro automatically install the AMD drivers. It installed Radeon Software Version 17.1.1. ProRender successfully installed on this setup, but keeps crashing.

The 7970 does date to 2011, does it actually support the right version of OpenCl to run ProRender? And if it did could you reasonably expect it to be useful?

The Rhino WIP installed the update to BETA (6.0.17311.8431, 11/7/2017) Beta and fixed much of the crashing.

Hi JimCarruthers,
Current OpenCL version installed 22.19.162.4. The ProRender in Blender works very good and I’m confident McNeel will get ProRender up to speed in Rhino. The OpenCL performance with Photoscan is also very good.

ProRender is pretty quick, but it does strange stuff to texture mapping and some textures. Here’s an image that shows the difference between how the texture mapping looks in a Rhino Rendered viewport compared to a ProRender viewport.

I can confirm this as mentioned above. Messing with the texture repeat values seems to set integers to floats and the default mapping looks wrong. I wonder if this has something to do with our display cards which are identical.

_
c.

@nathanletwory, @andy,

this is what i see when switching from Rendered Viewport to ProRender. It does not happen when i switch to Raytraced:

_
c.

what codec did you use? Firefox nightly doesn’t recognize.

Anyway, the effect looks like zfighting.

Hm, mp4 works over here when played with windows media player. (10 years old) but not in FF.

I’ve tried to upload the video now 4 times, *.avi is not accepted, *.mp4 (converted from avi using h264 and VLC cannot be played, when i zip the *.mp4, filesize 5Mb and drag it over the message window it shows the upload progress till 99% then nothing.)

ProRender.zip (5.2 MB)

Images, first is Rendered viewport, second is ProRender using the same view:

Imho, z-fighting looks different.
_
c.

The mapping is indeed also wrong. I meant the circles shining through the plane when you rotate, at least towards the end.

Yes, the circles have been caused by the groundplane. Good you’re now seeing that textures don’t work. I’ve found more bugs in ProRender importing larger files without using any textures. It seems all my geometry looks like having triangular faceting effect in variing grayscales which occassionally vanishes if i zoom very close to the object.

_
c.

The dev working on the ProRender integration (not me) is aware of the mapping problems. I’ll let him also know about the meshing.

You can btw also report bugs on the github repository AFAIK. That would probably useful (:

Thanks for all the feedback. I am currently working on building ProRender with the latest toolkit. After that I will look into your bug reports and wishes.

1 Like

Thanks lars,
This is a really nice addition to Rhino and is much appreciated.
Bill

Is there some news about new version of ProRender? I’m using latest Rhino 6 Beta (Release Candidate 2), and I’m unable to load this plugin, because of error message “Dependent DLL is out of date.” Unfortunately I don’t know, which DLL is in question here. Can somebody here guide me, which log can contain detail information about this error message?

Did you download from https://github.com/Radeon-ProRender/Rhino/releases/latest ?

Hello Nathan.
Yes, I did download RadeonProRenderRhinoPlugin_20171106.rhi, and also re-download it, just to be sure, that downloaded file isn’t corrupted. Unfortunately, no change, still same error message. I also checked, if I have a latest Rhino 6 Beta version, and this is true as well.

I’ve asked the dev if the available RHI is current.

Thank you Nathan, looking forward for your answer.