Aligning a group of objects along an axis

Hi All-

I would like to know if there is an efficient way to justify this group of standoffs along the X axis. Ideally, I would like to select them all, select a reference point, and have them all snap to that point. Trying the Align command now…

There are slower methods I have at my disposal, (i.e. Move to a common point) and there are only three of these objects, but this process comes up enough that it is slowing my workflow.

It would be great to be able to create a reference curve or plane for a group of objects.

Thanks!

-R

new_reciever.3dm (4.4 MB)

How did Align work for you?

worked! but, what if I wanted to ‘drop’ a bunch of these standoff objects onto a 3D surface, rather than merely align them on a plane? is that Grasshopper territory?

To drop onto surface you probably would have to find the volume centroid for each object, project the centroid points onto surface, and move each object, snapping to the centroid point and the projected one. It may be scripted.

Another way would be to make a reference curve through all the objects (they must be aligned), project the curve onto surface, then flow the objects along curve. Whichever works for you.

1 Like

thanks!