Alias 2024 UI refresh vs Rhino V8 UI refresh

So Autodesk Alias got an UI refresh about the same time as Rhino, and boy what a difference:

And then by comparison, we did not get any refreshed functionality at all and even though all icons are apparently SVG now, they look like sad Windows 3.1 style icons made after an explosion in a paint factory, with no consistent theme at all:

Not to mention the myriad of bugs this V8 refresh meant (enough to drive me back to V7)!

When I first got Rhino, I know some people who claimed “to know” said that the Alias team was a skeleton crew barely keeping the software alive… but in recent years, I must admit that is starting to feel more true about Rhino instead. So, are we back to blaming the price difference again? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Since I don’t use Alias anymore, I hadn’t seen how slick the new interface was… and this might be an overly technical video, but you can spot some nice things in it!

Quite a different level of execution and attention to detail:

In the years since I stopped using Alias it received a grasshopper alternative, subd, the gumball and even flowalongsrf. Not sure what Rhino has which Alias doesn’t at this point (well, except me being able to afford it). :sweat_smile:

Autodesk is clearly not shy about lifting features wholesale from Rhino, so frankly I’m not sure why McNeel developers are so against looking at their competition to get inspiration as well… especially since they don’t even appear to ask their own customers what they want (so many tools in Rhino release with utterly basic UX, like a rudimentary 0.1 version and then barely ever get updated).

3 Likes

Don’t go far :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I was apparently late with posting about the 2024 version… 2025 preview video just dropped!

Their transform CV puck (a moveuvn + seluv + softedit menu and more all rolled into one) was already the most optimized efficient UI I’ve ever seen, but their new radial menus also look gorgeous:

If I remember correctly, the entire concept of a radial menu was invented by an Alias UX designer.

3 Likes

That’s it, I love Rhino and it will always be my swiss army knife, but that Alias 2025 vid has caught my attention. I’m going to learn Alias next lol

1 Like

That is incredibly slick UI. The icon designs are properly nice, modern, and have a really inviting look to them.

Meanwhile, I have noticed over the last few months that I have gained an utterly irrational hatred of this icon:

layers_add

I have absolutely no idea why I hate this icon in particular, it makes no sense at all. I think it is the colour combination or something. Every time I open the layers panel, I think “God, I hate this so much”.

I wish someone would go through that Japanese book of colour combinations Gijs found, and force a team meeting to at least get some harmony in the colouring.

That video is trolling. Look at that fillet limiting surface and ball corner editing!

3 Likes

Difficult, very difficult. So far fullscreen has not been fixed in v8 :sleeping:

1 Like

Yes, i love the concept of Radial menu. Using commad line seems like a typewrite work. I use Blender Pie menus and even have pie menu editor which saves hell lot of time. Rhino developers should come out of 1980 style of UI because it is not 2d software. 3D software need constant creativity in User interface and when market shows good tools, you should adopt it.

As a designer and business owner who buys and pays for more more licenses of more pieces of software per month than what most people here might make in a year’s salary, I can tell you that Alias is absolutely irrelevant.

If you have the kind of money and margins to pay for Alias. And you happen to like it, what are you doing here?

If you steal software and then try to make a point about what others should do with their R&D/ Profits money trying to match stuff you are not willing to pay tor, what are you doing here?

If you are just like me, where they couldn’t pay you enough money to ever go back to Alias, after decades not having to think about it and how it was a total nightmare for everything except for matchSrf and and networkSrf, then let’s celebrate how good we have it now, with this clunky uncool ugly duckling Rhino we use now.

G

2 Likes

I may be a minority, but honestly I love the UI of Rhino 7. I think that it is much better than the UI of Rhino 8 (except that the latter has an awesome auto-hiding Properties panel which I proposed several years ago). Sure, the majority (but not all) of the new SVG icons in Rhino 8 look sharper, but the overall experience of dealing with the toolbars feels somewhat less responsive, especially the mouse tooltips while hovering over the icons.

As for the lack of improvements related to the main NURBS modeling tools (“Blend surface” and “Match surface”, along with more convenient control point editing tools), this is a well known weakness of the recent Rhino versions (5, 6, 7, 8). Not to mention that “Patch” was left untouched since Rhino 1 or Rhino 2 more than two decades ago.

Now that SubD is already done (it was the main focus in Rhino 7 compared to Rhino 6), I hope that the developers will finally decide to devote their time to make some sensible improvements of the NURBS modeling tools in Rhino 9. One major problem is that a number of experienced users often times post proposals since years, but we rarely see those implemented in Rhino. It’s discouraging to propose new functionality when the developers even don’t reply in those topics. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Didn’t take long for this prediction to come true in this thread: :laughing:

I think the question is, what are McNeel doing here? Why release such a shoddily designed UI?

3 Likes