After today's update got this:

On starting Rhino, first this:

Then this:

Cannot run Rhino currently, this happens every time. Will attempt a repair, etc. A Windows update also happened as I turned on the computer this morning, so that may also have something to do with it.

A repair install will probably fix it. Otherwise, check to see if the Renderer Development Kit is enabled in the plugin manager.

Nope Repair and a restart of the computer did not fix it. Have 2 crash dumps in case you want. Will look into starting in Safe mode now.

Starts in safe mode, but there is no Plug-ins section in options.

F2 gives me this:

System.Exception: No PlugIn subclass found.
at Rhino.PlugIns.PlugIn.CreateFromAssembly(Assembly pluginAssembly, Boolean displayDebugInfo, Boolean useRhinoDotNet)
Unable to load default render plug-in.
Command: _CommandHistory

Hmmm… If I can’t start in normal mode and safe mode doesn’t show me plug-ins, don’t know how to proceed…

Nope - the crash will be because the RDK failed to load. I’ll happily take a look via remote if you like.

• Andy

Sure… I’m here.

Sent by DM

After investigation, we worked out that Rhino 7.7 (which is the release candidate build, not the current service release) doesn’t work on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

We will fix this next week.

• Andy

Thanks Andy! Well, at least you have one person testing on 8.1… (7 is not supported)
I will have to get a new office machine with W10 one of these days. Just hate the idea of how long it takes to set everything up again.

Edit:
Rolled back to 7.6 Release version for now and everything looks fine.

No kidding. I suggest you get Win 10 Pro. It starts from a less intrusive approach to advertising and “involvement” with Microsoft. Home and Pro both take a lot of turning stuff off in settings to become usable. One annoying “improvement” I’ve noticed is that a non-administrator can’t run task manager. I’ve yet to research how to put that back the way it should be.

I have Win 10 Pro on all my other machines, my main laptop and the ones I lend out to students for class, but my venerable 2014 desktop is still on 8.1… which I like much better, mainly because M$ stopped letting you customize the start screen tiles, but also other annoyances such as not starting with NumLock on (despite all the internet fixes out there that suggest that you can fix this).

RH-64190 is fixed in the latest Rhino 7.7 Service Release