After 36 years, John Brock is retiring

Thank you for your support and I wish you a fulfilling free time.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your innumerable contributions!! Enjoy a very, very well deserved retirement.

2 Likes

Huge un fill able hole.

1 Like

Hey!
Who you callin’ huge?
Okay, okay, I’m a big dude…

2 Likes

Enjoy your happy retirement, you can always guide us at discourse.mcneel

2 Likes

Hear hear. JB, you’ve been an anchor for this office and this company. Your steady devotion to helping people with AutoCAD, then plotters, then Rhino is a gift many have already voiced. Ever since we scattered during the pandemic, I’ve missed hearing your laugh down the hall; I’ve missed hearing your patient radio announcer tone answer “McNeel & Associates” no more than 10 seconds after a frustrating and tiring call.

One of the things you and I share is a predilection for breaking things. I love that I can give you anything - an object, a feature, or an entire program, and within minutes you can dismantle it and point out all the things that didn’t work. May you fix more than you break, or at least, may you take continued joy in the breaking.

I thought it’d be nice to write you a poem, but I’m not really good at it, so I ripped this off from Etsy, instead.

6 Likes

Thank you @brian . It’s been a great ride, with with talented coworkers and excellent customers. Yes, I’ve always been pretty good at breaking things which required learning to put them back together. I’m pretty good with physical stuff, but the code stuff never clicked. Being in a team with such talented code writers made what I do possible.
Bob Koll and Jerry Hambly stopped by today and brought lunch. It was a short visit but sure nice to see them. I’m very much looking forward to going on more visits to see friends.
I expect I’ll take a wee break from the daily crazy here, but then slip back in here in Discourse and help out where I can.
My woodshop has some tools I need to wear out and an endless list of projects to make that possible. I have a gym membership to see if my old carcass can be somewhat rehabilitated, I have music to write and record, instruments to play, beer to brew, and a Big Dog to play with. I have city council work to do and local volunteer opportunities piling up too.
First off, I just need some time to calm myself and laugh more.
I’ll be in the Canal St. office next Wednesday.
I’ll see youse then!

11 Likes

It was a real pleasure to work with you, but much more of a pleasure to shoot the breeze and discuss after hours projects. I hope we can do more of the latter now that the former is out of the way. Congratulations on a well earned retirement and thank you for doing so much to help make Rhino the success that it is.

2 Likes

Congratulations on your retirement JB. We will mess you, and I wish you a very happy retirement.

2 Likes

@John_Brock where do I start?!? Working with you for 33 of your 36 years here has been a pleasure. You’ve taught me alot. Like others have mentioned, I’ll miss hearing your voice and you asking all the questions. I have gleaned quite a bit from “eavesdropping” over the office walls these last three decades. Thank you for being a teacher, colleague and friend. I wish you the very best. You can’t get rid of me.

2 Likes

Happy retirement, @John_Brock. Wishing you all the best.

2 Likes

This is a hit to company gravitas we’re not going to recover from any time soon. It’s hard to imagine the sheer amount of esoteric knowledge a halfway decent tech-supporter must have to help people out with something as sprawling and technical as Rhino, and you are an amazing tech-supporter.

Enjoy the open road JB!

ps. I vividly remember you picking me up at SeaTac airport the second time I visited Seattle and waiting (without knowing why) while U.S. customs interviewed me for hours in a windowless room. Not to mention the meatball spaghetti afterwards.

4 Likes

I’ll miss you, JB! You were always kind when I walked to your desk to ask questions. I’ll never forget that. Enjoy your retirement! Say hi to Janet. I hope I’ll see you around.

2 Likes

I wish you a very happy retirement @John_Brock ! Enjoy!
You will be missed.

2 Likes

I admire you for your tremendous contribution to the Rhino user community. Wishing you a wonderful retirement @John_Brock .

2 Likes

Enjoy your retirement, @John_Brock!

2 Likes

Ever since @John_Brock’s retirement was annoucement, the thing that I’ve heard most among my coworkers here at McNeel is… how are we going to keep on without JB around???
Staying faithful to a company for 36 years is a long ride. And leaving feeling everyone’s gratitute and recognition must be a beautiful thing to start your retirement with.
Enjoy!

2 Likes

Happy retirement JB! You will be missed.

2 Likes

Happy retirement, @John_Brock! It was a pleasure to meet you (and Janet - say hi to her!) in 2010 in Seattle. I wish you the best, enjoy! :smiley:

3 Likes

Yesterday, I picked up Jerry Hambly, we picked up lunch, and crashed JB during his lunch break. It was an excuse to visit one of the people who has helped me with almost ‘everything’ Rhino related. I first met John as he and Dale Fugier were installing software in my lab at Juanita High School where I was, many years ago, the CAD teacher. Experiencing the McNeel culture from many ‘locations’ during my professional career has given me first hand knowledge of the people who built the culture. For many people, John is the first contact people have to this culture. I can’t think of a better representative. John, thanks for all you’ve taught me. I’m looking forward to many more years of friendship. Let’s keep it special and NOT see each other too often. bob
(Janet helped by graciously allowing us to crash his lunch hour. Thanks to Janet and Max, the wonder-dog.)

4 Likes