Advice on Block Management

I am looking for some advice on effective block management.

The situation:

I have a file with 12 different moving light fixtures, each defined as a block. Each block is made up of a top level block containing two nested blocks (Group201, Goup202 etc) and a poly surface.
There are 100’s instances of each block, each with a unique name name (EL001, EL002 etc.) resulting in 1000’s of blocks.
The geometry in each lighting fixture is the same, only difference is one element has been rotated.

I am looking to:
A) Set all geometry within the blocks and nested blocks to ByParent.
B) Instead of having a 100 different blocks of the same light, where the only difference is the rotation, have one block with a variable rotation. In the above image, both lights would be a copy of the same block. I am not sure Rhino supports this feature though?
C) Hear how other people manage their blocks?

One solution I can think of is to explode each block and have each fixture as three different blocks. This would result in 12x3 blocks which is preferable to the 1000’s I currently have, but still does not seem like a neat solution.

I have started to look at Elefront and from what I gather I should be able to at least be able to set all geometry to ByParent with Elefront? Is there a workflow within Elefront that could help me with managing the blocks from there as well?

Hello - I think I’d use two blocks for the light assembly - the base and the rotating fixture. make a single block from these and Explode one level on each fixture once it has been placed, and rotate the light relative to the base - so when you insert, you have one block for convenience and then when it’s all done each light is made up of two blocks. Overall there are only three block definitions - base, light and base+light, in the background.

Does that make any sense with what you are doing?

-Pascal

Yes that does makes sense. I was wondering if there were a smarter approach and how other people manage their block collection. I have read a few of the other threads on what functionality people would like to see implemented, so it would be interesting to hear what kinds of workaround they have found.