Add the Replaceface request to the Rhino

Hi
Hello
Given that we have trouble editing pages, and when we compensate for the level and there is no such thing in Rhino, there should be instructions to replace the pages, I have to do them in nx.

Hello - please describe what it is you would like Rhino to do, and what problem it would solve.

-Pascal

Even in cases where we have Filletedge or chamfered that we can apply according to the desired face that we want

1 Like

It appears this is a parametric function. As such, Rhino will not do this as it is not parametric (outside of GH)

1 Like

This is not the first time I find you claiming something is parametric when it doesn’t have to be.

Now, there may have been some advanced examples shown (with fillets automatically updating), but what Replace Face essentially does is exactly what the CreateSolid command in Rhino already is able to do, only it secretly explodes and untrims everything, swaps out the faces you have selected with each other (and it can be a chain of them), and then maybe performs a few ExtendSrf if needed to recreate an enclosed volume and then runs the CreateSolid command again (or if it’s an open polysurface, it extends to ensure overlaps and re-trims and re-joins everything).

I found myself today really wishing I moved my current project to NX as well because I had to move a number of things around and it’s incredibly tedious in Rhino.

However, I understand this is difficult to currently implement in Rhino because ExtendSrf is still quite bad and that has to be robust before you can attempt a ReplaceFace tool.

1 Like

I’m not a dev or a programmer, nor have I ever claimed to be. I’m an artist, who went to art school.

All I’m trying to do is understand your problem so I can propose it to our dev team and hopefully improve Rhino for our users.

Despite not being a programmer, I do know that there is a massive difference between how surface fillets are done and how solids fillets are done. This is not new info, there are several devs here you can ask that can explain the difference in excruciating detail.

@dalelear is a good place to start.

1 Like

Mehran, My understanding of your request is to be able to replace a face in a polysurface and update fillets that were calculated from the original face.

Example of what I think you are asking for:

1. Start with a 10x10 polysurface box.
  2. Fillet all edges with a radius 1 fillet.
  3. Replace the top of the box with the nearby curved surface.
  4. Have the fillets recalculated when the top face is replaced.

Please let us know if this is correct. If so, I’ll make a Rhino bug report and find the appropriate person to evaluate how and when this could be added. If not, can you help me understand what I’m missing?

Thanks.

3 Likes

Hi @dalelear
Thank you for your reply. Yes, you understood correctly, and it is very clear in the first example. I wanted it to be added to Rhino as a new command.

1 Like

The issue RH-80969 is in our system and we will figure out who will take a look at it. This is a big project and evening investigating how it might be done in a robust way will take some work.

2 Likes

@dalelear What you describe in that request feels like a pipe dream, but by all means, if you succeed you could easily double the price of Rhino and I’d be happy to pay!

However, I feel like that issue should be split into two parts:

1. Implement generally more robust history updates, with geometric proximity patching for edge ID changes, to prevent both blends and fillets from jumping edges when surfaces/polysurfaces go through changes. This will greatly benefit all of Rhino.
  2. Allow for CreateSolid based methodology of replacing faces I described here. You don’ t need to include fillets as a first step and please, please, please don’t let the fillet requirement stop you from investigating this further!