Add Lights to Display Pipeline in pyhton

(Willem Derks) #1

Hi,

I’ve just discovered how easy and speedy it is to display objects via inheritance of Rhino.Display.DisplayConduit in Python.
However, I did not find a way to add lights to the display pipeline.
@jeff If I may be so bold, I suppose you can tell if this is exposed at all?

Can anybody tell me if and how this would be possible from within Python, I suspect it probably involves the RDK at some point?

My goal is to simulate a series of more than 1000 pointlights turning on/off and dimming, based on various algorithms. Since operations on individual lights in the document are propably slower, I want to see if I can tap into the display pipeline. We need a close to realtime preview of the various frames, anything too slow forces us to revert to rending actual frames to files.

Many thanks in advance.
-Willem

(Dale Fugier) #2

@stevebaer, is this something you can help with? I’m not sure where in the pipeline lighting is calculated…

(Steve Baer) #3

We probably don’t have good support for this in RhinoCommon yet since no one has asked for it before. Even so, I doubt that we can support 1000 point lights in the display code.

(Willem Derks) #4

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info, for now I have it working by turning lights in the document on and off.
I can live with that, so just leave it be.

-Willem