Add detail in Layout only adds wireframe view

To make a useful drawing of a mechanical part, wireframe view is useless! Too many lines that make no sense in 2d.
But when I add detail, no matter what view is showing in a viewport (shaded, technical, etc) all that shows up in the detail is wireframe! THIS IS USELESS!
I at least need hidden lines to be dotted! But the geometry lines that show up in solids in wireframe are not acceptable in a drawing.
Is there any way to fix this?

People have been using Rhino successfully for several decades. Perhaps the problem is less with Rhino and more to do with your lack of familiarity with the program and your reluctance to prepare yourself to use it by perusing the tutorials and help that comes with the program.

2 Likes

@mrosenfield
You REALLY need to take the time to go through some Drafting tutorials.
We’ve linked them in other replies.

I have been using CAD for 40 years, so I’m familiar with the processes. I have been following the tutorials, and spent most of yesterday doing so, and trying different approaches.
So if you can point me to what I’m doing wrong, I’d be most grateful!

Michael Rosenfield

RSR Engineering, LLC

2420 E Hermosa Vista Dr.

Mesa, AZ 85213

480-861-6456

www.rsr-engineering.com

RSR Eng Logo small

Then my best recommendation for you is to leverage that experience, and skim through the User’s Guide to see how we do these similar tasks in Rhino.
When you find something odd or new, maybe do that tutorial.

The User’s Guide is the only free, self-paced, progressive set of general tutorials I’m aware of.
http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/6/usersguide/en-us/index.htm

Cheers

I dug deeper into the drafting tutorial, and now I see where I was not thinking the way Rhino thinks.
I’m learning…

Thanks, John!

You’re very welcome.
Have fun with it.

1 Like

John,

I am trying to create a drawing of a cross-section of my part - a steel bar with a hole in it.
I have tried Cplane and Mplane, and I can get the construction plane where I want it, but I haven’t been able to figure out how to generate a cross section of the part at either of these planes.
Can you point me to a tutorial on this, or help me get going in the right direction?

Thank you,

Michael Rosenfield

RSR Engineering, LLC

2420 E Hermosa Vista Dr.

Mesa, AZ 85213

480-861-6456

www.rsr-engineering.com

RSR Eng Logo small

Hello - the Section command or ClippingPlane are what come to mind - depending on what you need as a result. Note Section uses a plane normal to the current CPlane. If you already have the CPlane where you want to make the section and you’d like the result to be some section curves (as opposed to a view) then start IntersectTwoSets as the first set, select the objects to section, and then Enter. For the second set, type IP and Enter then choose CPlaneXY as the plane. Then Enter.

Any luck?

-Pascal

Well, sort of.
I created the plane, and then the section, and now I have a group that is the section I want. I assume I can select the group, and change the properties to a new layer? Except that now the properties command doesn’t do anything! Used to work…. Did I turn it off, somehow?
So what I want to do is create a new detail that is the group, correct?
What am I missing here?

If I hit F3, or type Properties, no windows open with properties now. Used to work… Closed Rhino and reopened.

Here is the command history:

Command: _Properties

Command: '_Help

Command: Properties

1 polysurface added to selection.

Command: _CommandHistory

Command: _SaveAs

Successfully read file “D:\Data Test Equipment\Press Brake\Lower Die Support.3dm”

1 surface added to selection.

Command: _CommandHistory

Any idea what is happening here?

Thank you,

Michael Rosenfield

RSR Engineering, LLC