Accessing Galapagos via Rhino plugin

Hi guys,

maybe it is more question to David, but still

Is it any way to access Galapagos methods and functions in RhinoCommon without using Grasshopper?
That would be very useful.

Thanks,
Dmitriy

Hi Dmitriy,

this might be a wish in the long term for @DavidRutten , but at present that functionality is only expressed in Grasshopper, and there is no RhinoCommon counterpart. Were you thinking about this to create a new Grasshopper evolutionary solver type of add-on, or to use this in a Rhino plug-in?

Giulio

Giulio Piacentino
for Robert McNeel & Associates
giulio@mcneel.com

Hi Giulio,

thanks for this.
Actually I was thinking to access the functionality of the Galapagos within the separate plugin.

So it seems we need to ask David if we can expect this to be implemented and if yes - then when. :wink:

Kind regards,
Dmitriy

I think - in theory - you can reference the Galapagos assembly that is delivered with the Grasshopper plug-in. You can find it in

%appdata%\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0\Plug-ins\Grasshopper (b45a29b1-4343-4035-989e-044e8580d9cf)\0.9.75.0\Components

Then, there is the question of how to use the assembly. I don’t know if this is documented somewhere?

Yes, in theory yes, but there might not be much to use because everything is just kept for internal usage and not exported.

Giulio

Giulio Piacentino
for Robert McNeel & Associates
giulio@mcneel.com

Galapagos.dll is not documented (beyond some very cursory xml comments), however it is only dependent on framework assemblies so can easily be referenced and used by whoever wants to. The Galapagos component does provide a bunch of interface stuff not available from Galapagos.dll which at present makes it rather difficult to implement a proper interface.

I’m planning a big update for Galapagos come GH2, more solvers, more functionality, easier repurposing. That’s at least several months away though.

4 Likes