About Trust Levels

(Brian Gillespie) #1

What’s this stuff about trust levels, and how do they work?

I personally like the idea of active users gaining more rights for administering and maintaining the site, and inactive or new users taking a little time to get there. What do you think?

Personally, I’m not for it. It could lead to a situation of “mobbing” of an unpopular or opinionated user by a clique of persons who are “experienced users”. Nobody should have rights to "administer’’ besides the McNeel forum administrators.

Also, perhaps a bit of attitude here, but I really don’t care whether people “like” my posts or not, this is not a popularity contest, this is a place to share information and help people. We had no such ratings on the NNTP newsgroup and never needed them. Personally, I don’t care what “trust level” a person has nor how many people have “liked” their posts. OTOH, what is interesting to me is the number of posts that the person has, if there are a significant amount, then I know the person is actively engaged in the community, and after reading a few of their posts, I will be able to decide for myself whether I “trust” their info.

----H