Fabric Formworks by Runda Aduldejcharas and Sabrina Shuk Kwan Fung (AA Stuttgart VS 2016)
AA Stuttgart Visiting School
Mixed Matters / Graded Membranes
July 24-August 2, 2017
Institute for Lightweight Structures and Conceptual Design
Pfaffenwaldring 7, 70569 Stuttgart
The aim of the AA Stuttgart Visiting School is to explore contemporary practices of materially-graded, complex geometry design, moving away from mainstream explorations of single/isotropic materials and linear/planar tectonics. Within this new field of investigation, the Stuttgart VS will research novel techniques of material mixtures and grading, associative design, and double curvature surface generation.
The second cycle of this exploration will be based at the Institute for Lightweight Structures and Conceptual Design (ILEK) at the University of Stuttgart. Drawing from the Institute’s long history of experimentation and research on tensile structures instigated by Frei Otto in the 1960s and conducted at present by Werner Sobek, this year the workshop will focus on the design and fabrication of materially graded membranes, as well as the application of UHPC and FGC on fabric formworks.
Prominent features of the workshop / skills developed
- Teaching team consisting of AA diploma tutors and ILEK and str.ucture GmbH engineers.
- Access to the Institute of Lightweight Structures and Conceptual Design (ILEK), the Materials Testing Institute and Concrete Spraying Robotic facilities at the University of Stuttgart, as well as the office of str.ucture GmbH Structural Design Engineering.
- Computational skills tuition on Grasshopper, Rhino Membrane, and Karamba.
- Lectures series by leading academics and practitioners in architecture and engineering.
- Fabrication of functionally graded membrane and/or concrete structures.
Application / payment deadline: July 10, 2017