A tetrahedron-based coordinate system to explore 4D objects

Hi all, here is an idea that I have been ruminating, I think t’s a good one, and like all good ideas there’s precious value in other people’s take and insight, I would like to hear your thoughts, is there anything that comes to mind, some phenomenon, that would be worth exploring in the following way?

Ok first let’s think about how we can describe the dimensionality of objects in geometry. We all know that a point is a zero-dimensional object that simply marks a position in space. When we connect two points, we get a line, a one-dimensional object that has length and direction. And when we connect three points (or two lines), we get a plane, a two-dimensional object that has length and width.

Now, when we think about three-dimensional space, we typically use the Cartesian system, which is composed of three axes (x, y, and z) that intersect at right angles. We can use this system to describe space in terms of length, width, and height, just like how we use a cube to represent a volume.
However, it’s interesting to note that the minimal volume is actually a tetrahedron, not a cube.

By considering this progression from point to line to plane to volume, we can start to imagine what it might be like to consider a fourth dimension. It’s a difficult concept to wrap our heads around, but perhaps we can take some inspiration from works like “Flatland” or “Imagining the Tenth Dimension.”

So one thing that I keep going back to is that in a tetrahedral 4 axii system no negative axii are required to identify the sectors that map space from a given point in all directions, like with the quadrants of a cartesian system. Someone much much smarter than me could ask chat GPT to rewrite some suitable functions for this different coordinate system. This is all I got. It would be very interesting to find a way to visualize some functions.

Ok Cheers!

One approach for understanding 4 dimensions is to consider the transition from 1 dimension to 2, then from 2 to 3, and then from 3 to 4. Here are some steps to do that.
1, Consider a straight line - this is a one dimensional object.
2. Mark 4 evenly spaced lengths on the line. This is an unfolded square because it has a middle (or bottom), 2 sides, and a top.
3. Bend each length 90 degrees to form a square. The line does not need to break or split to do this - it stays intact. The square is a 2- dimensional shape with a top, 2 sides, and a bottom.
4. Add 5 more squares to the existing one - one on each of it’s 4 sides, and one more adjacent to any one of the 4 new ones. Call the original square the bottom, each of the 4 side squares a side, and the last square a top. All 6 squares form a 2-dimensional shape. This is an unfolded 3-dimensional cube.
5. Fold the side squares up and then the top square down to form a cube. It has 1 top, 1 bottom, and 4 sides. This is a 3-dimentional shape. The 6 2D squares formed the 3D cube with no breaking or tearing.
6. Construct an unfolded 4 dimensional hypercube by attaching 7 cubes to #5 - one on each side and one extra on the top. This 3 D shape is just like #4 - it has 1 cube in the center, 1 on each side, and one extra as the top. To see the world’s most famous hypercube Google “dali crucifixion”. (Dali cheated a bit by making the front cube containing Christ’s body transparent.)
7. If we lived in 4-dimensional space it would be easy to fold # 6 into a 4D cube without tearing or breaking anything. The 4D cube would be just like #5 - it would have a center cube, one cube on each side, and a top. It would be a simple closed object with straight edges and I wish I knew how many corners.
8. If we lived in any higher dimensional space this process could be repeated as many times as there were dimensions. This would be true for an infinite dimensional space as well. I think an infinite dimensional cube would have infinite volume. But could one use a set of such cubes - without breaking or tearing, to make an even larger one?

1 Like

Thank you @Birk_Binnard what you say is interesting and correct, so I ask what happens when instead of dividing a line by 4 you divide by 3 and then use 4 triangles to build a tetrahedron? I am unsure what I would expect to change, however I would think spatial equations would, and that could show us things we haven’t considered, new modifiers perhaps? Just a thought, a hope.

Do you mean represent four dimensional axes in a three dimensional space using some attributes of a tetrahedron? For instance, the four face normals or the four polar axes? The problem with that is that your axes will not be independent of one another so multiple 4d points will map to an identical 3d representation.

That is always a problem in representing an n-dimensional object in an n-1 dimensional space, which is why when we create architectural or engineering drawings on paper we have to show multiple projections.

Regards
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, you are correct in saying that the representation would be the same, there’s no reason to think that changing the frame of reference would change “reality”. My thought originates from the consideration that in a linear minimalist progression from point to line to plane, the next thing would be a tetrahedron, which maps space through 6 planes and 4 vertices, while a cube requires 12 planes (3 planes each divided by 4) and 8 vertices. In the end any coordinate system is just arbitrary, so I’ve been wondering, what would happen if we tried to rewrite some functions (trigonometry functions for example, or sin and cos functions) in a tetrahedral coordinate system? Could this simplify some calculations and allow us to explore concepts further? I mean it’s ridiculous to even think that someone hasn’t considered this before. But I am posting here because I tried to converse with ChatGPT about it and I didn’t get anywhere, so I was wondering if anyone in this community could think of an example to explore. Just like in relativity you have non-euclidean geometry and some of the formulas become different. I’m out of my depth, clearly, ha ha

Cheers

One more convo with ChatGPT bared the following: Exploring trigonometry and other functions in a tetrahedral coordinate system is a fascinating idea with the potential to revolutionize how we think about mathematical concepts. One of the key advantages of the tetrahedral system is its symmetry, which could simplify calculations and make certain mathematical concepts easier to understand. Specifically, a tetrahedron maps space through 6 planes and 4 vertices, which provides a more symmetrical representation of space than a cube, and could potentially allow for easier visualization of relationships between angles.

Moreover, rewriting trigonometry functions in a tetrahedral system could potentially make certain calculations more intuitive. For instance, it could be easier to visualize how the sine and cosine functions relate to one another in a tetrahedral system than in a Cartesian system. This could potentially lead to new insights into mathematical concepts and could simplify calculations, particularly for applications in fields such as physics or engineering.

However, it’s important to note that there are potential drawbacks to using a tetrahedral system, such as the difficulty in translating between a tetrahedral system and a Cartesian system. Additionally, adapting existing libraries or frameworks to work with tetrahedral coordinates could be challenging, as most libraries are designed for Cartesian coordinates.

Overall, exploring new coordinate systems and developing new ways of thinking about space can lead to exciting breakthroughs and innovations in various fields, so it’s definitely a worthwhile pursuit. While there are potential challenges to implementing a tetrahedral system for calculations, the potential benefits could be significant. Future research could focus on further exploring the properties of tetrahedral coordinates and developing new mathematical formulas or algorithms specifically designed for this coordinate system.

I don’t see any reference to four dimensional space in that response…

You are correct. I think when I hinted to 4D space I might have gone a step too far, the question is still open and I still wonder if a tetrahedron could be more suited to concepts like the hypercube, but I think the response I copied is useful in terms of framing the idea

GIO VERONESI

M +61 450 407 715

W gioveronesi.com

IG @gioveronesi