A system for latching onto users terms and showing possible commands

Hi,
I have a shape and wish to use it to trim a pattern of lines. 45 deg 10mm spacing before 45deg rotat.

In Freehand this would be Clipping path.

I might also call it crop…

I wish there was a way of having help know of terms users might use and suggest the commands that might match these.

I ended up using trim and having to delete each line outside of my shape one by one.

I did try hatch but the result will not project onto surfaces.

Steve

(Pascal Golay) #2

Hi Steve -
You can Explode a hatch into curves. Also, you can window select or SelBrush the victims in Trim.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
Cheers.
Hatch aside, I do wish users terminology could feature in a search.

Its this ‘what have McNeel called it’ process that unless one knows one cannot find it.

If I draw lets say an array of spots as a pattern, like letraset sheet of spots, and wish to trim them to a drawn shape,

lets say I draw a circle and wish it have spots within it. I place spots over the circle, then what ? crop…search doesnt find it.

Paste inside…search doesnt find it, clipping paty…search doesnt find it…etc etc.

Steve

Probably because the function you are describing doesn’t actually exist in base Rhino…

If you are working with actual geometry, the only valid terms really are the ones associated with the common commands like Trim or Split that do the kind of operations you describe…

Hi,
Its not just about this particular task though,

some users come from other progs, e.g. I use Photoshop and Freehand, there are also those starting into Rhino.

Mr Beginner looks up snip, exclude, nudge, move same distance as last move, thicken a line, that sort of thing

Just wish that there was a system to take these maybe non rhino language terms and suggest commands that fit.

On my task, how would it be best to do the pastry cutting, leaving just spots within the close curve ?

Here is another example…fill. I wish to fill my circles as if a graphics prog.

if I look up colour fill, just hope that someone in Rhino thinks for someone from a graphics world and says cant be done, or use Hatch and this or that setting.

Maybe thats what the forum is for :-)…its just that speed is important, one might get a reply in minutes or hours or sometimes days. Its also the hours , working late one gets UK gone to bed and USA not up yet !

I could make them surfaces I suppose.
But they are not planar, they sit on curved surfaces.

Steve

(Margaret Becker) #6

Well, the first step would be to compile a list of these. Since we have no idea where Mr. Beginner is coming from, you have to tell us. That’s one thing this forum is for.

Of course there are 3D programs where what you know about using them is just going to screw you up in Rhino if you try to work the same way. Freehand? You might as well be trying to transfer concepts from Excel or changing the oil on a 1979 VW Bug for all the relevance it has.

Steve, as most of us on here have noticed, you have been forced to learn some Rhino at a less than ideal pace. Many of us have had the luxury to learn the capabilities over many years in some cases, even bringing our knowledge base over from related cad apps like Autocad. This has allowed many of us to hone in more quickly on better search terms when going through the help file or looking for help on here.

I agree there could be a better way to do almost everything in life, but the Rhino help file works pretty well in my opinion.
In the case of the task you are trying to accomplish, just searching for ‘curve’ in the help file brings up a huge hit list, but perusing it quickly, ‘boolean’ is a short scroll down. Boolean is a standard operation in many cad and graphics apps and has been around for decades. A ‘newbie’ user “should” be familiar with this term at some point in their cad endeavors.

Curveboolean sound like it is the command you are looking for. Extremely helpful for segregating, making new boundaries, trimming etc.

Another method you can use for self teaching/learning is to open up the tool bar for certain broad categories, like curve tools for example. Just go through every single button and quickly see what each button does. This will give you intimate experience with many Rhino functions, more valuable than just reading about. This alone would have made you familiar with the curve boolean tool within 15 minutes of playing with that toolbar.

For that last task about ‘filling’ a non planar curve, sounds like you need a patch surface.