A ? On curve and surface visability

It seems I used to only see a curve on the side of a surface it was passing through. That way I could rotate that curve until I saw where it was passing through the surface at the right place( chosen place). Now when the curve is selected , it is highlighted as usual, but I want it to be hidden until it comes through the surface at desired location. So in other words I only want to see the part as it makes itself visable passing through the surface. Hope I didnt over explain it. Thank you

Mark,

I don’t think there is a way to switch off highlighting of selected objects in Rhino interface now and I too, sometimes, need to see where the selection is ‘behind’ other objects while manipulating it.

Now only for surfaces/polysurfaces/meshes it is possible to turn on ‘Shade/Highlight’ (under Options>View>DisplayModes>Objects: Selection. In that mode, the selected objects will highlight/shade, but will not be ‘always in front’. That does not work with curves, unfortunately.

The highlighting setting is hidden in the display mode definition and can be accessed via scripting. So I wrote a script that will toggle selection highlight for the current display mode. You can use it while in-command (i.e. rotating, moving…). You can also put in on a button using:

-_Runscript (
…script goes here…
)

See attached. Hope it helps with your workflow.

–jarek

ToggleSelectionHighlight.rvb (1.5 KB)

Hi Jerek, thanks for the script. This is an area which I have not learned about(scripting). I see it is vital in those details we want to work around.
I will be learning how to put these scripts into Rhino and then using them. Thanks to a great software company Rhino.

Hey Jarek,
Sorry for the hijack, but the point above interests me - I’ve always stayed away from launching scripts while inside a currently running Rhino command. To what extent is this allowable?
Thx, --Mitch

Mark,

The simplest way to use any script is to just drag it into Rhino viewport. In this case, just make a text file, copy the script above, save as ToggleHighlight.rvb (or whatever name you like) and that’s it. Every time you drag it the display will toggle.

Scripts can be also added to buttons, aliases or compiled into a standalone commands.

Your reply made me think of of a hack work around. Maybe a person could make a sliver of a surface of the curve that I want to manipulate. Then move both together the curve and sliver surf, watching the surface move until it is where needed, then throw away sliver. I might try it.

That may work well too, depending on your specific condition.
The scripted solution works very well so give it a shot or let me know if you have any trouble testing it.

–jarek

Hey Mitch - great question! I have been testing the extent of this as I needed more interactivity that I can normally get via scripting, so using the commands is a great way to go, I think. Still trying to figure out its limitations and possibilities. I have started a topic with some questions, observations and expamples:
http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/running-scripts-inside-rhino-commands--runscript-vs-compiled-plugins/26341