A few requests

I just finished teaching a class to a few 3rd year design students. I always love to see their reactions to tools that I’ve become so familiar with and take for granted. I also find their fresh eyes alert me to mini-bugs or interface issues that I’ve learnt to accept.

I thought I’d share a few here:

• The ability to import multiple display modes would be great. At the moment you can only select one .ini file at a time.
  • The Object Properties Panel that controls Details is different whether you select a detail or double-click in a detail. It would seem that these should work the same way? The behaviour when you select the Detail seems more intuitive: being able to change the scale in the Panel ranter than use command line is quicker
  • It would be great to be able to lock the 3 axis in the BoxEdit Panel. For example if you had a box come in at 1x2x3 and you want to make the long side 5, you could just type 5 (with lock on) and the other dims scale accordingly. This behaviour is already in the Texture Mapping repeat tile area.

I’m going to see them again in 24hrs so it would be great to get a response before I see them next. I’ve already gloated how responsive the McNeel team is on this forum. :wink:

Thanks!
A

2 Likes

Hi Andrew -

The Object Properties Panel that controls Details is different whether you select a detail or double-click in a detail. It would seem that these should work the same way? The behaviour when you select the Detail seems more intuitive: being able to change the scale in the Panel ranter than use command line is quicker
[/quote]
When nothing is selected, Properties shows the current view’s camera information - that is what you get when you double click to activate a detail - nothing is selected. When the layout is active and you select a detail, then the detail’s object properties show up. Does that make sense?

This is implemented in V6/WIP.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Great to see the Boxedit update for v6!

I understand the Object Properties Detail behaviour changes depending on object selection, but what isn’t clear is why the display and behaviour is different when they are essentially doing the same thing:
Select a Detail

• Panel shows lock option (toggle in Panel) and detail scale (Changeable in Panel)

Double click in a detail

• Panel shows lock option (toggle in Panel) and detail scale (Changeable in command line)

A

Yeah, I see - I was looking at a perspective detail - duh - no scaling… I don’t know, but I’ll see if this can be made more rational - thanks.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-38401

-Pascal

Perhaps the detail properties tab should be available on the properties panel when one is ‘inside’ a detail. It is somehow active/ selected anyway.

During the last class, we discovered a few more bugs and feature requests. Apologies if these have already been mentioned.

By the way, the students are thrilled that their feedback gets responded to so quickly! And they’re loving Rhino!

• Selduo doesn’t work on Details
  • Gumball loses its relationship to details when scaling single or multiple Details. Needs to be reset after scaling.
  • Can’t select multiple Details to change all their scales globally. Would be great to have that ability
  • Selecting a line in Layout space is a bit buggy when there is a Model Space line or object directly underneath it. One needs to hide or turn off the Detail or Model space objects to be able to select the line.

Thanks,
A

Hi Andrew -

Got that, thanks.
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-38486

Gumball does not, and I gather, cannot in the foreseeable future, maintain it’s location and orientation on multiple selections - that includes groups…

I’m not sure I follow, here - if the layout is active, only the line that is in layout space should be selectable - if there is a corresponding line inside the detail, that should only be selectable if the detail is active… Is that what you meant?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

So here’s an example that fails for me all the time. In the attached DimAngle fail.3dm file there are some simple objects in Model space and Layout space. There are some vertical lines drawn directly over the Model object lines. When I try to use the DimAngle command on the two Layout space items, object selection seems to default to the Model space items and I can’t select the vertical Layout space lines. Does this fail for you?

DimAngle fail.3dm (205.2 KB)

Hi Andew - thanks, I see- inside a dim command I can see how things might go awry, since dimensioning can reach into a detail from the layout space - plain selection does not do that. But I’d expect to get the ‘Choose one object’ selection menu in this case - is that what you expect here?

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-38517

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Yes I expect to see the Layout space lines come up as an option in the selection menu. Currently the only way to perform DimAngle is to hide/turn off the Model space object or the Detail itself.

I have had examples where other commands also seem to ‘not see’ the Layout space objects if there is a Model space object directly underneath, but can’t seem to recreate them for now. If I come up with another example I’ll post it here.