A diamond problem

Let’s assume we just drew a diamond with solids (example shape that would solve my problems) and we want to produce it using a real world material with thickness like wood.

Now we want this diamond to have a thickness in rhino. So we have 2 commands to use (shell or offset). Shell does not really cover my needs, so I’m playing with offsett. I don’t know why, but trying to boolean smaller diamond out of a bigger one does not produce anything.

so I’m going around it - exploding my diamond and offestting all the surfaces. Then creating solid with what I got. And I’m almost there, but this way produces many unwanted objects in the process as in the picutre.

My goal is to get a diamond with real thickness and divided on polys like in second picture so I can read the angles between them. Then ideallly unroll those solids somehow to be able to produce this thing with wood elements.

Any experienced modeller could help me how should I go about it?

I don’t know if there’s an easy way. This is the object in object = 2 objects problem.
I would explode the inner and outer objects and make the respective pairs of surfaces into individual solid objects using “edge surface”.
Then use “orient 3 points” to place the objects on a surface.

diamond

1 Like

Easy way is splitting object in half…
Top bottom I guess…

Hi Jasiu,

Assuming your diamond is symmetrical, rather than create the whole diamond at once, start with the facets on one side, build that side and finally use polar array to create the other four sides - you end up doing a lot less work that way.

I’d go about it as follows:

Step 1 - create curves to delineate the vertices.

Step 2 - create the two side faces and 1/5 of the top.

Step 3 - offset each of the faces to create the inner faces.

Step 4 - in the top viewport use the original construction lines to trim the sides of the inner faces back to the boundaries of the segment, then in the perspective viewport use each segment to trim back its neighbour to the intersection between them and vice versa.

Step 5 - create the edge faces for each panel (for the top panel you only need the one outer edge).

Step 6 - for each panel join the surfaces to create polysurfaces.

Step 7 - use polar array to make the remaining four sides and then join the five segments of the top face to make it into a single solid. Use merge all faces to tidy it up if desired.

3 Likes