A complete UI overhaul of Rhino would be a much welcomed move

rhino
ui
rhinoformac
rhino-for-windows

Yup, options are good…

Our engineering department has 50 years experience. Three engineers totaling 5 years, and 45 for me!

(Malafon) #129

Agreed. I like the monochromatic icons in PS, but there’s such a wider toolset in Rhino, I’d be afraid of getting a little lost without the ability to introduce some color. If monochrome icons were ever introduced, it might be nice to have the option to tint them, either individually, or per toolbar/tab. I have a bunch of tabs across the top, and while I don’t typically use the scrollwheel to scroll through them, I have noticed lately I do tend to get to the “Select” toolbar tab that way (scrolling), because I know when all the icons turn yellow I’ve arrived…color can be a useful navigation aid at least…

Rhino differs from most of the here referenced packages - not sure if this is the correct term, but:

• Rhino is Data-Oriented, insofar as functions (commands) run on the data (geometry) and there is no strong dependency on the concept of Objects.

• Most vfx / animation (and many CAD) software is Object Oriented. Objects are encapsulated, can have hierarchies, names and complex interdependence (what Grasshopper introduced).

The reasons for this separation are quite interesting, but to stay on topic:

That is also the reason nearly all Commands in Rhino are ‘equal’: As icons you can have them all on the screen at the same time. There is very few Object-related data and commands. UV-mapping and materials come to mind. And they are out of place - hidden in the properties panel… because they go a bit against the concept of Rhino.

I would argue that therefore the complex hierarchies of UI-Design that are found in Blender, Maya, Max etc. are not applicable to Rhino.

Apart from a modernized UI in terms of graphical language, it would be interesting to hear what would be ideas for concepts that take this difference into account.

(Przemysław Doliwa) #131

If i can say anything here… Well in my case command line is the most important part of Ul - without it my work would took ages im using icons when im looking for command which i just dont use on daily basis on top stripe menu im looking for things which can solve something when im stuck but i think it depends on user - in my csse 99% cmd line is primary way of input.

(Pascal Golay) #132

Hello - one of our developers points out that is is very possibly a case where Rhino is being paged while Windows thinks hard about your other ‘heavy duties’. 12 GB of RAM is not such a lot to be working with these days. If indeed Windows is sending Rhino to a page file, there is not a lot we can do to make it work faster. It may be worth looking at your resources when this happens, in Task Manager.

-Pascal

My 2-1/2 cents worth:

Back in the early days of AutoCAD, there was a HUGE effort to support individual developers and market solutions, not so much for the last 25 years or so …

Back then, one of the MOST POPULAR approaches was to group commands on the (then) Digitizer menu (the precursor to the on-screen icon movement in CAD) by their general function, with some of the most successful generally applying a base color inside the Icon (not the digitizer “square” but the icon elements themselves) to aid visual command differentiation . I NOW find the SAME COLOR-BASE in ALL Icons in RHINO to tend to negate the -generally- reasonable pic-choices for the command Icon itself, increasing running confusion by disaffecting command DIFFERENTIATION when moving to select the “next” command - reducing the effectiveness of the generally reasonable approach to ICONS-for-command-selection approach as it currently exists in RHINO.

If we started the UI refurbishment by color-coordinating commands that work similarly, for instance the ones we get in a fly-out Icon Bar for a parent Command Icon (to start with, maybe … ) , I think THAT would go a long way in the right direction. I have collected my FAVORITES in the pop-up for OSNAPS and have set that as my default pop-up when I press the center scroll-wheel button.

My OSNAPS icons still make up the top-row of the pop-up menu, with my other commands arranged by function below- within the popup.

This has eliminated more than 80% of my menu-searching for the next function I need - 1-click of the scroll-wheel, and I have the command I need right in front of me. If they were somehow color-coordinated, I couldn’t REASONABLY ask for more ! Well, maybe a small pop-up right next to the floating cursor arrow with command options so we don’t have to go away from the mouse to type in an option at the keyboard or go away from the working area to select an option at the Command: prompt …

Yes, we have the ability to FULLY CUSTOMIZE each and every ICON in the menu system, but this effort is generally more involved than most users are interested in or prepared for … . If someone were to work up a replacement ICON system for the CURRENT RHINO Menu system, I’d pay a nominal cost for something, and maybe even a bit more if there were strong indications that user feedback would be reasonably included in subsequent releases … .

You know, it seems REASONABLE to suspect that if someone were to make a bit of an effort to resurrect the old user-developer days of CAD and come up with a well executed UI “Skin” for RHINO, I bet it would get some real interest here ! What an interesting overlay plugin that would make ! SHOOT it might even prove to be the IDEAL “Custom Command” implementation portal environment, with a basic As-Is Commands Overlay Skin an opening starting point, with Grasshopper and similar CUSTOM Functions possibly a highlighted upgrade feature !

If NO ONE were interested in something like this, this thread wouldn’t exist ;=) !

All the VERY BEST to ALL from Texas -

Chuck.

… or maybe adopt a more complete commitment to excellence … ;=) !

Yes, think UI today is lot more important specially because of the time that designer spend using the tools, but it’s a difficult endeavor to get right, for instances we have discuss about Overhaul and possible modifications, but no one has talk about what is the core UI design that makes Rhino works. For instances in this discussion we have criticize different parts of the UI, without focusing on what is that makes Rhino a great tool, what are characteristics that “we” desire to preserve. I’m in accordance with @cfee that UI change can only come from a plugin that the community receives with open arms similar to what happened with Grasshopper.

If only one could have G0, G1 or G2 locators with combs on boundaries between surfaces as one is building them or manipulating CPs…

@ Lagom
??? ;=) !

(Pascal Golay) #138

Hello - please see

for at least a step in this direction.

-Pascal

From where I am, that would make you a cub ; )

Much welcomed!

Dark. Flat design. Minimalist.

Pascal -

Hi ! Hope this finds you well !

Yeah, resources.

I’ve found PAGING to be a real issue, with MOST of my projects running to most of a GIG or more in size …

1st way I handled that (since I was running a reasonable 1-TB main system drive at the time) was to double my RAM as you suggest. Easy upgrade, and not an overly expensive proposition, and I was “back to work” pretty much right away !

Wasn’t LONG, tho, and you’d prob’ly guess - rightly - I was AGAIN faced with CAPACITY-related resource issues …

My solution to THAT was to remove the boot-functions, etc., to an SSD drive (250G), with the main data contents still on the HD, with THAT drive moved to position-2 in my system (from C: drive to D: …) leaving those contents intact. I THEN created a “WORKING” folder on the SSD drive, and having re-installed my RHINO, with PAGING still at C: defaults for RHINO as installed, I had MORE than enuff speed and capacity to function again for another 2 YEARS !!!

I’m AGAIN looking at capacity issues, and have decided that along with other planned upgrades, replacing my current 250GB SSD with a 512GB PCIE SSD. more than quadruple the thru-put performance of my conventional SSD boot drive (!) I expect to pump LOTS of NEW “life” into my 4 year old PC, which as-is I would put up against ANY conventional CAD PC on desks at companies TODAY , and even more so after this next upgrade … !

Hope this helps -

C.

Suprematism

What goes around comes around.

Somewhere, Kazimir Malevich is smirking.

FWIW, you can set Rhino to dark mode pretty easily:

Its not perfect, would be nice to be able to invert the toolbars on the right. Maybe you could add a way to do that and then I think a lot of people would be pretty happy.

Chaning a complete icon set is quite a task, but that would be the next logical step. Most of the icons still have that Windows 95 kind of style.

(Toshe Andonov) #145

I’ve have posted this on another thread but thought it should be here.
Maybe instead of whining how people don’t want the World to change, we can make this thread a more constructive one and gather ideas.

Suggestion: an idea for the UI - Mouse Gestures .

Assigning a shortcut plus a mouse gesture would make for an awesome way to invoke shortcuts.
This would especially be useful for all of us that work with graphic pens.

Example:
2018-11-27_18-46-02
This is a recording from Vivaldi browser.

A dedicated [or mapped] keyboard button and a click+mouse gesture to call on a command.
Something like an additional alternative to plain keyboard shortcuts.

(Toshe Andonov) #146

Another thing that I’d like to see is - the history in the command line to show more info.

When you right click on the command tab, it shows the last few commands that you’ve used, but it doesn’t show more info than that. It would be nice if you could see more info about that particular command.

From the top of my head, I’d like to see the dimension of that particular command - let’s say the last distance that you’ve measured, or the length of the polyline you last draw.