A complete UI overhaul of Rhino would be a much welcomed move

rhino
ui
rhinoformac
rhino-for-windows

(IVELIN PEYCHEV) #84

Yeah, I’ve been planning to get a pair for years :smile: It’s always “Do I really need them? How could they help?”

I use yellow sunglasses outside sometimes. It is rather good for night driving.

Or simply adjust the monitor brightness?
Or use the night mode?
Cheaper than additional glasses.

If you right-click any toolbar button you do not know whether Rhino will launch a command or display linked toolbar. The whole idea of cascade delay looks to me like a nuisance rather than useful feature. I would prefer to restrict the right-click to displaying linked toolbars.

(Toshe Andonov) #87

A short right-click on the icon, runs the secondary command you have set on that icon. A long right click on that same icon, will open the linked toolbar. It’s a UI feature based on timing. It’s pretty straight forward for me. You can even set the cascade delay in Toolbars > Size and Styles > Cascade delay.
Hoovering shows the commands.
Personally, I don’t see the need for change here.

Same is true for a long left click.
Means a long click opens the linked toolbar.

Or correct: A long mousedown opens the linked toolbar.
After that, you only have to release the mouse over the wanted button.

Right, there is no need.

A new UI feature based on timing could be no click at all to open the linked toolbar.
Just waiting a certain time over the button, let’s assume the double tooltip delay.

And of course the automatically opened toolbar must vanish automatically if you move the mouse to a different place.
And after selecting a button from the opened toolbar.
Simple as that.

See the video from Xara here:

The same system could work with the toolbar tabs.
It did once long ago, but didn’t work right.
It was replaced by mousewheel action.
Pascal will remember.

(Gustavo Fontana) #89

same here. also same about monochromatic icons. Maybe all that darkness, grayness and sadness works for some. Not for me. I need my FIESTA EN CUATRO KAS!!!

(Pascal Golay) #90

I like the idea of a mostly mono-chromatic toolbar layout - then place a few strategically located colored icons - these landmarks are super easy to find without thinking and you soon get used to the relative locations of the other gray buttons. I had something like this back when I used to work for a living and I found it very effective- I never had to parse the icons, I just knew where things were relative to the bright ones. The Explode/Join icons function a bit like this in the default setup.

-Pascal

I have just conceived very good idea: context-sensitive toolbars. Three examples:

1. You select nothing. Rhino displays toolbar with all commands which make basic objects: Box, ClippingPlane, Cone, Conic, Curve, Dot, Ellipse, Ellipsoid, Helix, Line, Lines, Mesh, Parabola, Paraboloid, Picture, Plane, Point, Points… etc.

2. You select one curve. Rhino displays toolbar with all commands which manipulate one curve: CloseCrv, ContinueCurve, ContinueInterpCrv, CrvDeviation, CrvEnd, CrvSeam, CrvStart, DeleteSubCrv, ExtendDynamic, ExtrudeCrv… etc.

3. You select two curves. Rhino displays toolbar with all commands which manipulate two curves: Blend, BlendCrv, Crv2View, Match, MatchCrvDir, CurveBoolean, TweenCurves… etc.

The essence of the idea is to tell Rhino what you want to do by selecting objects.

Great to hear you like your own idea :wink:
I am against software trying to be too smart and predict what I want to do. I have seen attempts like that fail too many times.

(Tom) #93

Since Rhino has a lot of different commands and a very broad field of application its close to impossible to create a gui perfect for everyone. So to speak, it absolutely makes sense to let your gui be highly customisable. Rhino allows you to do that. My workflow for Rhino is typing in short combinations of letters into the command line. If I press “tr” it trims. This outperforms any icon clicking, I’ve seen. And I’ve tried many 3d applications.

The problem with this approach is you are faced with a workspace that is constantly changing, thus much harder to develop the “muscle memory” of where functions are located “geographically” in comparison to a stable, non-changing set of buttons.

Like @pascal mentioned above, I also had a color-coded workspace at one time, and it was very effective for hitting specific target buttons quickly. Since I started typing on code for scripts however, I got out of the habit of using buttons for the many things, I now end up typing a lot of commands and aliases/shortcuts.

I got the same. I have created ca. 200 two-letter combination shortcuts. I barely look at the icons. This is the fastest workflow.
I also hate monochromatic UI in ArchiCAD. I am older gentleman with slight sight limitations and I prefer coloured icons. Where it is acceptable in Adobe products due to the small number of places to click it would be difficult in 80-something toolbars in Rhino.

(IVELIN PEYCHEV) #96

I totally agree. By the way if I can do some comparison, AutoDesk did a smart thing leaving an option for their customers to use the “classic” toolbar style. DS went too far from toolbar (in CATIAv5 into ribbon-like ActionBar in (CATIAv6-3DX) but also left the option for people to use toolbars. Even highly customizable floating toolbars that pop up under the cursor whenever you need them. Then get hidden again.

For future of Rhino I wish only two things

• make all your icons multy-layer so that you can change the color of the icon itself. Currently, you cannot use ‘black’ because all icons are black-based.
  • let your users define whether to use toolbars, tabs or ribbons. (I hate these tabs you introduced with Rhino5)

(IVELIN PEYCHEV) #97

Yes, this is the reason why I hate the tabs.

You can (raltively) easily get rid of them and make the UI “flat” with no tabs, as it used to be pre-V5. I didn’t find the tabs useful either, for the reason Mitch mentioned (harder to develop muscle memory with changing UI)…

Yes !

… If possible along with fully programmable and searchable buttons, toolbars, collections ( toolbars locations included ).

Me too.
That’s why I set up my custom toolbars that way. :slight_smile:

(Ufuk Bircan Özkan) #101

I also really like how Photoshop manages its workspace and UI with scaleable monochromatic icons.
But there is a huge difference between Rhino and PS. Rhino has hundereds of icons. Having so many icons in same flat color can be really confusing. Instead, color-coding flat icons according to their context would work better.
Also an option to change individual tab colors may be a good choice. Not bright colors but all desaturated (between 127-255 RGB codes only) can go well with any flat icon&tab design.

By the way, I know, making all icons in flat design with so many info to show on is really hard. But remember,

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

AFAIK, you are not forced to use tabs.
We can use single toolbars as well, no ?

Edit

Huh, I had not read that Jarek had already told you … sorry.

Edit again:

BTW … I love tabs, but I’m glad to be able to choose anyway. :slight_smile:

(Ufuk Bircan Özkan) #103

Instead I prefer reducing the buttons. I’m one of these who use many XY and XYZ aliases, but this is mostly because there are soooo many buttons and commands doing similar tasks.

Rhino can understand the type of the object when we click on, like point, curve, surface, mesh or polysurface. But we have different commands like fillet, fillet surface, fillet edge etc. When entering only a “fillet” command, rhino can ask us what we would like to fillet, or simply it can wait us to click on an object like an edge or curve.
Same goes for commands like chamfer, match, blend, trim, boolean. They all have different codings inside, but coding works only after we apply the command. UX (not UI) requires a clean intro to the command at first step.