6 beta crashes with NVIDIA fx1800 / NVIDIA OpenGL

My 6 beta crashes a lot with my NVIDIA fx1800 (driver version 342) on the NVIDIA OpenGL driver, with Error code 3. After that comes the message "Rhino WIP has stopped working"
Never experienced this with 5

@Rein_van_der_Mast Can I get more details on “crashes a lot” ? Is there any pattern to when/why it’s crashing? A specific file or model? Command(s)? Display Mode(s)? …etc…etc…

Thanks,
-Jeff

Bit hard to reconstruct, I am afraid. Problem looks related to the (not so small) meshes I have in my file

RM

System::AppDomain::CurrentDomain->UnhandledException event occurred

SENDER: Name:DefaultDomain
There are no context policies.

EXCEPTION: System.InvalidOperationException
MESSAGE: Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.
SOURCE: "mscorlib"
CALL STACK
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowInvalidOperationException(ExceptionResource resource)
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Enumerator.MoveNext()
at RhinoCyclesCore.Database.ChangeDatabase.UploadMeshChanges()
at RhinoCyclesCore.RenderEngine.UploadData()
at RhinoCyclesCore.RenderEngines.ModalRenderEngine.Renderer()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Right, that could be a result of GPU memory running out, and according the error message you posted a crash happens in sending the mesh data to Cycles, apparently during usage of Cycles for Rhino, or during a view capture. If switching to Raytraced works fine then I suggest that for this particular scene you choose the CPU to render. Slower yes, but probably you have more RAM in the system than for your GPU.

I’d appreciate it if you could share your model with me for further investigation. You can use rhino3d.com/upload and aet nathan@mcneel.com as recipient.

Tnx

Will see what I can do regarding uploading data that is subject to an NDA.

Where do I switch to CPU for rendering ?

Video specs are:

NVIDIA Corporation
Quadro FX 1800/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version: 3.3.0
Render version: 3.3
Shading Language: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
Driver Date: 10-18-2016
Driver Version: 21.21.13.4200

Maximum Texture size: 8192 x 8192
Z-Buffer depth: 24bits
Stencil depth: 8bits
Maximum Viewport size: 8192 x 8192
Total Video Memory: 768 GB

GPU Tesselltation is on

Options>Cycles…when Raytraced isn’t running.

Does your GPU card really have three quarters of a terabyte in RAM?

Edit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_quadro_fx_1800_us.html says 768 MB. That isn’t very much, so for the larger scene you’ll have to use the CPU unfortunately.

If you have a budget with some room left you might consider a high-end GTX card that youbcan dedicate to rendering. They aren’t as expensive as the Quadros, but for Raytraced they work very well. I use a GTX 1060 with 6GB in my dev machine for Raytraced.

Oops, my GPU isn’t listed here anyway. Uhhh ?

Your GPU would be in the CUDA tab.

FWIW I have a YT issue to figure out if a scene will fit in GPU memory, and if not automatically pick CPU: RH-33650.

No it does not… It has 768MB…That’s a bug I’ve already fixed.

@Rein_van_der_Mast

I’m not getting any Error Code 3 here…but I am getting some Error Code 6 issues…which is GPU out of memory.

I’ve managed to keep them from happening (so far), by reducing the Anti-Aliasing down to 4x from 8x.

Still looking into what else can be done from our end.

-Jeff

Tnx ! Doing some more testing meanwhile.

@nathanletwory My Quadro Fx 1800 isn’t even getting recognized as a CUDA device… I believe it’s supposed to be at least 1.1. Not sure about that though.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_quadro_fx_1800_us.html

-J

Ah right, that is because the minimum supported CUDA architecture is Fermi. I didn’t realize to check that.

@Rein_van_der_Mast if you can’t share the model, could you try (in a copy) selecting all objects, ExtractRenderMesh, delete all original objects leaving the extracted meshes. With all that run PolygonCount and report the count given. Also, if you use textures in your materials could you tell their resolutions? Also the amount of procedurals and decals if any would help. Finally, the amount of System RAM would help.

Thanks in advance.