503 Error?

For at least a week now I haven’t been able to access compute.rhino3d.com from anywhere, am just getting 503 errors. Did the url change?

Sorry, I wanted to make sure that the expiration feature in the Rhino 7 WIP actually worked and then the weekend came… I’ll try to get a new version of the server up and running tonight.

1 Like

Thanks mountains. Not doing anything important, just wanted to make sure I didn’t break something on my end.

Ok; this might take a day to get back up and running. I’m seeing some problems with compute and our latest V7 codebase that I need to dig into.

I got compute.rhino3d.com back up and running, but it is limping along. I still need to make some changes so the web server appropriately restarts and will look into that tomorrow. You should be able to call compute again now. I may need to take it down for a few minutes here and there tomorrow while I figure out how to get compute properly registered as a service.

Ok; that wasn’t too hard. Compute is back up and running properly

1 Like

Thank you! I saw this while on the move yesterday and was able to visit the sdk.

I went to test this morning though, got an error (SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed), and now things are 503 again.

Small tangent question: I tried setting up a google cloud instance using the instructions here. Does that instance, when running, still depend on compute.rhino3d.com to work?

I somehow managed to set up a compute instance, but it hasn’t worked for any function call so far. The app will successfully send a request but get a blank response. Stackdriver keeps saying opennurbs.dll is the culprit (log image attached).

The service also stops each time this happens. I’m a bit out of my depth here, but is this something I can debug or is it tied to compute.rhino3d.com being down? Was hoping I could get this working so I could stop bothering you about anything that happens to the public one.

The server shouldn’t have anything to do with compute.rhino3d.com since it is just it’s own stand alone version of the same thing. I need to dig into this a bit more, but may not get to it right away (leaving town for a few days to go to a wedding in Pennsylvania)

Ok, thanks for the heads up and the clarification. I’ll keep tinkering with my copy and see if I can’t get it to work, or at least explain better why it’s crashing.

Just going to be collecting information I come across while debugging. Unsure what’s actually useful:

It’s consistently crashing, even within try-catch, in EndPoint.cs at line 286: invokeParameters[i] = jsonobject.ToObject(arrayType);.

When calling CurveCompute.CreateBooleanUnion on two overlapping circles, this is the input going in:

inputs.txt (1.7 KB)

I used ProcDump to watch the process. When I accessed http://<ip>:<port>/sdk from a browser it started throwing Exception: E0434352.CLR about every second, but it still showed the sdk and kept running. When I actually sent a request through, it crashed at the above line with C0000005.ACCESS_VIOLATION. I have the dump file handy, if it’s useful.

The Stackdriver logs are still blaming opennurbs.dll. And one time, the GCP dashboard responded with some details:

Will keep debugging and see where I can get…

Some recent change in the code looks like it messed things up. We probably need to make a fix in the core and issue a new V7 WIP release.

I rebuilt against an older version of WIP I (luckily) had handy and things worked. Thank you for being able to interpret the mess and taking the time while traveling.

Edit question: if I hadn’t had that earlier version, is there a way to rollback in case something like this happens again? If not I’ll just make sure to start saving them.

I’m back to working on this. We do build V7 about three times a day and keep those installer permanently on Amazon S3 so it should be easy to get a different version at any time.

compute.rhino3d.com is back up and running now. I also updated the compute github repo if you want are working on your own local instance.

Sorry about the outage.

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll try updating mine and will let you know if I break anything.