50+ new RhinoScript methods added in V6

First, I’m going to assume any V6 related posts should drop the Serengeti tag, and just use that for the new V7 WIP. Is that correct?

I noticed that 50+ new Rhinoscript methods were added in V6. Are there Python versions as well? I would have thought that the focus would be on supporting Python first, as it’s a cross platform language, and there is a Mac version of Rhino.

Thanks,

Dan

Also, quite related, i’ve noticed that RhinoScript (rvb) still has the very useful offline chm help when pressing F1, while the offline help file has been removed from the EditPythonScript editor. It tries to open

http://developer.rhino3d.com/api/RhinoScriptSyntax/

which is a big drawback when beeing offline or on a slow connection.

Can we please have the chm help back for python RhinoScript syntax ?

_
c.

2 Likes

Hi @DanBayn,

Yep.

Probably not. However, many of the new function are easily replaced by just calling into RhinoCommon. And, some of the RhinoScript fanciness isn’t cross-platform.

– Dale

Okay, thanks Dale.

Hi @clement,

I agree the new online Python help for rhinoscriptsyntax need to be revisited. Including a chm, in my opinion, isn’t the right approach as it isn’t cross platform. I’ve opened a YouTrack so we can begin to discuss solutions.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-43652

– Dale

Thanks @dale, i would suggest to use a help authoring tool which supports multiple outputs so everything could be autogenerated for different platforms.

_
c.

Hi @clement,

Yes of course. The old system, however, it not capable of parsing the source python files, which should be the source of truth for the help file. The new system is generated from the source python files…

– Dale

Hi @dale,

the python RhinoScript syntax helped me a lot to make a transition from rvb to py because so many method names and arguments where identical. I think for other users, making this transition in the future it could potentially be useful if the new RhinoScript (rvb) methods are somehow added to the RhinoScript syntax for python. I mean, just for completeness. Maybe we can help here and contribute…

_
c.

You sure can.

– Dale