.3dx file from 1992! Help needed for 3d model archaeology :D

beautiful stuff!!! this is so exciting

can’t wait to drop this bad boy into MSFS2020 Tokyo :smiley: should blend right in with the hyper realistic environment.

1 Like

Hi @nathanletwory & @henry_j,

I’ve attached the gh script I used to extract the models. I cleaned it up a bit so you can use it to import other 3DX files from the game as well:
210926 3dx import v13.gh (42.6 KB)

To run the script:

• I used the bake component from the Lunchbox plugin, so you might like to install that
  • Relink at least one 3DX, DAT and WLD file (in the yellow groups on the left)
  • Bake using the button in the top right

A few vague notes:

• The script centres around 6x C# components:
    • Read the file header (model offsets)
    • Read the model header (vertex count, element count)
    • Extract the raw model geometry (normal vectors, vertices, edges)
    • Create the final geometry (polygons, points, lines)
    • Extract the VGA palette (RGB values for each campaign)
    • Extract the model palette (VGA index + transparency for the model)
  • A few subtle mistakes in the documentation:
    • The origins in the model header take up ((model_type - 1) * 8) bytes
      • Model 20 in DSMOB.3DX doesn’t follow this rule (not sure how the game would’ve handled this), hence I included a ‘model_type_override’ option
    • If the normal vector prefix is 0x8100 there’s an extra 2 bytes after the prefix
    • The above sound subtle, but the whole file must be read in sequence due to a lack of markers or standard offsets; an extra byte here or there will throw the whole thing off!
  • I tested the script on the DS files and it works fine, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are curiosities in other files. I haven’t included a whole lot of error checking, so use at your own risk!

Cheers,
Steven

2 Likes

Here’s the godzilla model:
210926 Godzilla.3dm (166.0 KB)

Over to you @henry_j let’s see some screenshots once you get it into MSFS!

Steven

1 Like

probably should have mentioned, I found the game files here:

1 Like

Looking forward! I have set aside some time this weekend to get make this happen.

Hi Steven! I’d like to apologize for leaving this project parked, it’s been a crazy few months but now I should have time to bring this thing back to life in MSFS2020. Once again thanks so much for this incredible digital archaeology, I will keep this for the rest of my life!

Again thank you -H.

2 Likes

I am now working to have it as a scale model in a Windows Mixed Reality but after that I will be trying to put it into MSFS2020 as well.

1 Like