3DM file is not a rhino file

Is there a way to post the file to you securely? Sensitive data involved. Thank you- trying Rescue3dmFile now.

1 Like

Sure. Please use: https://www.rhino3d.com/upload and set the Recipient e-mail address to dan@mcneel.com.

Thanks!

1 Like

hello Have you an answer about this problem because I am the same problem and I don’t find the way to resolve it. Thanks a lot,

Nicolas

1 Like

Please find here the messagesborne.txt (213 Bytes)

1 Like

Hi Nicolas - As was asked before, please post the file. Does the List option of the Rescue3dmFile command show anything?
Where are you saving your files? Is this an issue that you regularly run into?
-wim

1 Like

hello,

Yes it is a regular problem… I don’t understand why?
Is it possible to sent it personally this file because I can’t post it for everybody.

Best regards

Hi - you can send it to wim@mcneel.com

Could you please describe your computer set-up? How and where are you saving files? On the local disk, a network, a memory stick, …

Since this is a regular problem for you, does it always happen? For specific files? Any specific workflow that might be involved?
-wim

Ah, it looks like we’re looking into this in two topics: Read3dmStartSection() failed [BUG]?

@wim please take it from here. I’ll close the other topic.

1 Like

Dear Dan,

have you receive the file and have you a solution about it?
Thanks a lot,

best regards

Hi Nicolas - I didn’t receive any notification of a file being uploaded to me and I can’t see anything in the uploaded files list from your he2b eMail address. Did you use my wim@mcneel.com address?

Also please answer these questions:

-wim

Hi,

I’m running into the same problem with a file I saved to Dropbox. I tried Rescue3dmFile and Audit3dm without success. Is there anyway someone can help me recover the file?

Thanks!

Dear Wim,

did you receive the email with the files? thanks a lot for your answer,

best regards

Hi Nicolas, I’m afraid that I still haven’t seen a file from you, no.
Did you use the upload form at https://www.rhino3d.com/upload or did you send a mail directly to my wim@mcneel.com address?
-wim

Hello. I am having the same issue. Created a couple of files with Rhino 5 a while a go and I cant open neither with Rhino 5 nor 6. I keep getting this message. Please help

1 Like

Hi Claire -
Can you post a file that you can’t open anymore?
-wim

1 Like

Thank you for the prompt reply. Here is one of the files.
A_topographic.3dm (3.0 MB)

Unfortunately it looks like it is not recoverable…

Testing 3dm Archive: D:\Downloads\A_topographic.3dm
ERROR - Unable to read start section.
If this was a 3dm file, it is has been corrupted and can no longer be read.

1 Like

Hi,

I’m facing the same issue. Could someone please help me.

Many thanks in advance.

Luiza

Hello,

I just got the same issue… is there any chance someone got a solution?
Thanks.

-Juan

1 Like

You can try the command Rescue3DMFile but this sounds like the file has been corrupted beyond recovery.

Check your user library > Autosave Information folder to see if an earlier version is there. To get to this location on your Mac, use the Go menu in the Finder and hold the Option key > Choose Library > Autosave Information. Also check your Trash bin for any 3dm files there. The last hope would be if you had a Time Machine backup saved that you could restore from.

Please let us know if you see this problem again and any steps to reproduce it.

​​​​​​​

1 Like