3d textures on lofted surface

Hello everyone,

I’m trying to experiment a few different textures on my design and I know grasshopper is the best way to do these types of studies. Unfortunately, I have zero knowledge in grasshopper so I need some guidance on where to start. I’d like to know the fundamentals and steps needed to take to get to the final result so I can modify it to do my studies. I tried looking up tutorials on ripple effects but those only work on flat surfaces and I cannot figure out how to make them work on a 2d surface. I’ve attached the surface I’m trying to get these textures onto and also some samples of textures I’m going for. One thing specifically I can’t find help on is a similar wave texture but in a starburst like pattern so it starts in the middle and goes out. Any help is much appreciated!

Anyone?

You usually wont get much response here on not specific problems without a definition, showing atleast minimal effort. You can see here:
How to ask effective questions Specifically point 7.

That being said you can use image sample to bump meshes and surfaces, you can also use attractors like you find in ripple definitions, just use mesh / surface normals instead of the usual z direction you would use on a flat example.

I’m not asking anyone to “do my work for me” if that’s what it sounded like. I’m a professional industrial designer and believe this knowledge would help me in my designs in the future and so I’m genuinely interested in learning how to create 3D textures. The type of surface and the type of texture will obviously vary from product to product. This is just an exercise to get me started. I know there are lots of books and resources but unfortunately I can’t invest that much time into it right now. That’s why I’m looking for tutorials specifically for 3D textures so I can quickly learn the concepts behind it.

if you post the definition people will understand and help you better

2 Likes