3D modelling speed in Rhino vs grasshopper

Hi All,

I would like to know 3D modelling speed between Rhino and grasshopper. Considering 2 to 5 revisions in a model say a model with 20 parts. Which is faster and accurate (though gh will win in accuracy). Please let me know.

That’s a bit like asking “how high is the sky?”

It will all depend on:

• How complex the model is
  • If it is a family of similar parametric parts or if each piece is completely different
  • Whether it depends on things that are easy (like make boxes) or hard (like make surface fillets) to do in GH
  • What the ‘revisions’ entail and whether they are easy to do in basic Rhino or not
  • How good you are with either method
  • And probably some other factors…

Basically, you can likely model a single object faster in Rhino than program it in GH. After that, it’s what your modifications are like.

This is incorrect. GH IS Rhino, so anything you can program in GH you can do also as accurately with basic Rhino.

This depends so much on what you are modelling.

If you had a lot of experience in Grasshopper then you wouldn’t need to ask because you’d know what you can do in Grasshopper. You need to know its strengths and weaknesses before you can estimate if it would be worth it for each, individual, task.

For me, 2 revisions is too few to make it worthwhile using Grasshopper but it really depends on the problem.

Does everything you try in Grasshopper work? First time? Second time, 20th time?

How long does it take you to get your stuff to work in Grasshopper? Visualising the problem, working out ways to do it in Grasshopper, can you easily visualise and manipulate data trees?

How many Grasshopper nodes do you know?

This is a judgement call and requires experience, only you knows you.

1. Consider a freeform truss with varying beam size with fillets in some members and cuts and bolts.

2. Each piece is different and parametric on hole, fillet and perimeter size

3. Not sure here how mechanical parts will be

4. With Rhino it might not be right considering parametric movement where beam and other parts move together with change in geometry.

5. good in gh than rhino

Grasshopper hands down. I just revised, created and released drawings and step files for over 750 tubes in about an hr. Everything was done via fairly standard Gh plugins.

I wouldn’t consider this a parametric process, more algorithmic.

1 Like

Lets say an expert in data trees though not very fast in gh but pretty good in speed. But when getting into complex parts movement it slows down in solving it

Inspiration… https://vimeo.com/203509846

(over a million unique parts & drawings)

The great thing about GH, and the main reason I’m learning it after decades of 3D CAD design, is that if you build the model strategically, you can scale the sliders down to a minimized version of the model, for editing computational speed, then adjust them back up to full size/quantities for the final result. I’m looking forward to getting as fast in GH as I am in Solidworks or was with Autocad back in the day.