3D fractals from 2D shapes

Hello! For a little experiment, I would like to use own 2D shapes to generate 3D fractals.

It would be cool to have it like that:

And then generate with the script something like that:
ray_08_p
Source: Julia sets (raymarching) - 2001

The 2D shape could be the base shape or the looped object to get such a fractal. I was looking at Chimpanzee. Unfortunately, I didn’t find a way to get this done. Does anyone have an idea how to do that? I would be super thankful.

Forget fractals (unless you have to play with some sort of “visual instructions”). Recursion is the way to go - a Method that calls itself untill something happens and terminates. Public vars are used (notably Trees where only the last [i.e. **previous**] Branch is accessed - tail recursive: stack “safe” etc etc) in order to avoid locomotive long Method calls. That said In most of blob like cases the objects are Meshes (a Class using floats thus speed … etc etc).

In general you can do anything imaginable as far as the rules are well defined. Post some very specific analysis/description of the desired result and the evolution process - an image means nothing (Note: if I’ll provide any indicative solution that would be via 100% code [ C#]).

On the other hand … well … instead of a single object (say some sort of blob) is waaaaaay faster and/or rational if you have some “structure” in mind (Using objects as Instance definitions - flat or nested) meaning some sort of result like this - a tetrahedon random grow as a template for placement (real-time no matter how many Instances as used):

Hey, thanks a lot for your answer! The result in your video looks amazing. Would you share the script for that?

This is using things (related with nested Instance Definitions) that are strictly internal to the practice. Plus the Recursive tetra grow … is also using internal code.

But IF you are in the C# path (Level : mid to advanced) I could provide indicative hints/help.

Unless you want something “plain” so to speak (but you should provide explicit description of the desired Topology) using/placing objects … er … the totally wrong way (i.e. Copy their Geometry and use a classic Plane to Plane trans each time a new placement is required - that does the Orient thing). Plus … for some sort of structure in real-life … connections are required as well (i.e. : do something with the Mesh edges shown, that is)

Oh, okay. Unfortunately, I am not into C#. You don’t have an idea how to do that or something similar with just normal Grasshopper nodes?

Cool stuff peter. Thought I would see Ducatti’s at the apex of each tetrahedron though

Does maybe someone else have an idea how to do this?

I wrote this tutorial some time ago, perhaps it can help you: Fractal Canopy - TOI-Pedia (tudelft.nl) You would need to know a bit about Python to do this though. If you are able to follow this, I expect you to be able to do similar stuff too.

Theoretically you could also do it with Anemone, but I wouldn’t recommend it, cause it makes your script very unreadable.

Looks very interesting. Unfortunately, I don’t know Python. How could it be done with Anemone?

I would suggest to just start experimenting with Anemone if you really want to. Just make a simple function and do some research into how recursive functions work.

I think Anemone is quite straightforward. Just place a function in the loop and use its own output as input.

Rhino can’t read CATIA files. But I have some Panigale components (STL). One of these days I’ll do the Pani_RearSets_Chaos_V1 mpeg.

1 Like

Oh boy…
Hope does die last.
-w

Should die first (better safe than sorry).

Ducati… :face_with_raised_eyebrow: