3d dimension

how can I made 3d form dimention. my solition very long.

Hello - dimensions are 2d, so you’ll have to set CPlanes to the three plane directions and place the dimensions. It looks like you’ll want to set the dimension text ‘Horizontal to view’ Use DimAligned for the diagonal dimensions

-Pascal

This is so long methot.
is there any easy way?

The easiest way would be to use 3d dimension, that, at the moment, is not yet implemented in Rhino 6, but hopefully will be included in Rhino 7 (or a future update of Rhino 6). I imagine it could work this way:

1. Pick the start point for the desired distance.
  2. Pick the end point.
  3. Snap to some object that closely matches the plane at which you want the dimension to be aligned. It should work exactly like the last click of the “Rotate 3d” command where you pick the angle of rotation while the start and end points work as an axle. Or hold down Shift (if Ortho is not activated) to align to the World axes (or current custom CPlane axes) depending on the ortho angle setting (usually 90 degrees).

It’s so simple and I wish it had been already implemented in Rhino…

I wish the 3d dimension make on the layout sheet of viewport, same as plan view

Thank guys ! hopefully will be included in Rhino 7

I will pick two points and finaly must be like the picture
please help me

1. draw 3d line
  2. Arrow head(line transform to arrow line)
  3. Meausere length
  4. M. Length value write with Dot to midpoint of the line

Hi - we have a wish for 3D dimensions on the list as RH-50849 (not open to the public due to sensitive customer information). I have added this thread to the item so that we can keep track of demand for such a feature. This is currently on the Future list and won’t be implemented any time soon.

That said, the dimension in that last picture looks to be a simple 2D Aligned dimension. From the first picture, it looks like only 2 custom CPlanes are needed to make all dimensions.

Apart from that,

1. draw 3d line
  2. Arrow head(line transform to arrow line)
  3. Meausere length
  4. M. Length value write with Dot to midpoint of the line

That shouldn’t be all that hard for somebody to script.

Or use a very simple Grasshopper definition:
-wim

1 Like

I’m afraid 3D dimensions and 2D production drawings just don’t mix:

-wim

2 Likes

I used it on plan, elevation, secton of Rhino 5 more years ago :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much Wim Dekeyse!
I got it. but a little bit problem.
dimention value going into the model according to the direction of view. Like the picture.
is there any solition about it.

Hi Hakan,

There are probably a few things you could try. Depending on your specific requirements, some things will be more useful than others.

First off, I would probably check the Horizontal to view option in your annotation settings:
(I see that the arrows still get drawn in the construction plane and they get very narrow in certain angles…)

Also, you will notice that the native Grasshopper Line Dimension places a text string in the dimension, not the usual <> notation of regular dimensions. You will want to manually edit that text to reduce the number of decimals.

All that will still have your text disappearing inside your object, though. You could manually move them away from the surfaces but that’s a bit cumbersome. You could modify the Grasshopper definition to first offset the line away from the surface.

In the following picture, the illustration on the right is created by the Grasshopper definition that I posted earlier. I then made a display mode that draws locked objects in the same color as non-locked objects and then locked the object. This makes the annotation getting drawn on top of the object.

For the illustration on the left, I’ve created a different Grasshopper definition that makes a 3D Tag in the plane of the dimension. If you bake that one, it will remain visible. AFAIK, there are no arrowheads in native Grasshopper and I simply put in arrow symbols - these won’t bake, though. This can all be made smarter and I’m sure that there are plug-ins for Grasshopper that can make this more effortless. If you want to pursue this further, I suggest that you start a new topic in the Grasshopper category.

3D Dim.gh (26.4 KB)
-wim