2 naked edges

It looks like your lines(that you blended) are not right on the surface edges at the top:

Also, beware - the little strip surface at the other end of the blend curves is not tangent to the larger surface -

you may run into problems there. Better might be to ExtendSrf, Smooth, a short distance and then trim back to where you want the edge to be with Split > Isocurve.

-Pascal

I have tried rebuilding the surface to be trimmed in every way I know how but it will still not trim. I moved the blended curves so they are not intersecting.

Here is the model. I cannot for the life of me figure out why it won’t split or trim from the blend curves. I can perform split or trim operations fine with other objects.

can not split or trim.3dm (414.7 KB)

OK, here’s a clip:

but the result, because of the little surface not being tangent to the larger one, is this:

That’s why I suggested extending and trimming back the surface rather than adding a strip there. Of course you can also MatchSrf the little guy to the larger one but I’d perfer a single surface there.

-Pascal

ok. I guess I need to learn how to use ExtendSrf. Does it work at all similar to extrudeCrvAlongCrv? Because I cannot figure out how to generate a new clean surface without it inheriting all the knots / divisions of the reference curves.

alright I think I got that now

Does that help at all? I did a little curve clean up as well, to get a little nicer shape and closer to the surface.

-Pascal

1 Like

well i got extendSrf down, but still cannot trim. My solution to the trim curve intersecting the surface to be trimmed was to move it away from the surface a bit, but that did not seem to work.

Oh man I am really not getting the result, even though I feel like I understand everything in theory that you are saying. And I’ve followed to the letter everything you have done. For some reason this still won’t trim. been stuck on this for way too long :rage:
can not split or trim.3dm (355.4 KB)

I think I just got it. Exploding the surface to be trimmed did the trick
can not split or trim.3dm (389.9 KB)

Hi Pascal
I’ve been searching through for a solutions to my own string of problems and am beginning to think I need to change my way of working to what you just did. Can you please point me towards a tutorial that shows what you did in detail.
For now I’ve bookmarked your mini tutorial and will work through it.
Thanks for what you have already posted.