Wish list: More matching in Patch

I’m in Rhino 4 on Windows. Doing some shapes that require very smooth assembling of surfaces. I find that Patch is what I am using a lot.

I would love it if Patch could match surfaces up to G4, not just up to tangency. If fact, I would love it if the goodness of match (G0 … G4) could be chosen curve by curve.

This might sound a bit harsh, but I’m going to suggest that instead you should focus on learning some classic modeling approaches instead of using Patch. Really, Patch should be regarded as a last ditch hail Mary, only to be used when you run out of time, skill or ideas. It creates insanely dense, uneditable surfaces, that are trimmed all around. Basically, if you don’t like the surface, there’s not much you can do about it. If you’re using Patch as a primary surfacing tool - you’re just going to have to trust me on this - but you’re doing it wrong.

Unfortunately, there’s not a whole lot of concise learning material out there geared towards making nice smooth surfaces, or what I would consider to be classic NURBS modeling - Class A style. The best tutorial I know of is this one:

http://www.ak3d.de/all/3d_car_tutorial_book_animation/

That thing is worth its weight in gold - really it’s one of the few tutorials out there that show you how to model in what I would consider to be the right way.

Just my two cents…

-Sky

For some reason that link is down. At least when I try it with IE and chrome.