Will Rhino 5 work on Windows 10?

i put windows 10 on 3 machines now. there are really no major bugs that i have found and all my software does work. the bugs you will find are little annoyances like suddenly you cant log in with a pin and you need to use your pw instead. also certain audio drivers dont work until you change the bitrate. just little things like that. i personally jumped on 10 because i am a mac guy and win 10 brings in a few major things that i use which is in osx like multiple desktops. i had win 8.1 which once i turned off all that metro crap, i thought it was a great os. seemed to be really nice. win 10 really doesnt seem a ton different. seems like the same overall core with just some changes and additions. so far i think its great. just take a hard drive and do a system image then do the upgrade to 10. with the image you can always put your computer back exactly how it was.

Reminds me of those guys who would camp and get in line at a store, not that long ago, to get a new win release on release day so they could then run home and install on day one, when one could walk into the empty store the following week (or day perhaps) and pick from inventory a plentyā€¦

Never quite got that. To each is ownā€¦

Itā€™s all about being a pioneer and chasing a dream.
Here is a comparison to shed some light: Why watch sport live when you can record it and watch it the next day with the benefits of choosing when you want to see it and you can fast forwarding through the commercials and breaks? :wink:

Thank you @jimc.

I would wait with W10 until the last moment. Besides ā€œfreeā€ always makes me worried.There no major reason to move yet and just because it says that there is no compatibility issue that doesnā€™t mean anythingā€¦especially from MS. When W7 came out I was hanging on XP for two years before I moved 100% to W7. I had the dual boot system back at the time and canā€™t tell any disadvantage. I also never tried Vista or W8.1 and according to other people opinion I didnā€™t loose anything. If you have another computer available then you can try and see what happensā€¦

I honestly donā€™t mean no offense, but you sound a lot like a frightened old lady :smile:

Norbert

Maybeā€¦can you tell me what advantage you may have switching to a brand new OS soon as it appears available? Far as I know CAD/CAM is more of a specialized market and never is the #1 priority for OS makers to have it stable. I know nowadays you can backup/restore but who really needs all this hassle?

You were talking about holding on to old OSs as long as You possibly can, NOT about not being an early adopter at day one. Quite a different thing.
If You read this thread in its entirety, You will find I advised AGAINST day one installs. But between that and saying "thereā€™s no advantage of Windows 7/8 over XP lies the difference between ā€œcautiousā€ and ā€œfrightened old ladyā€.

And donā€™t worry, I wonā€™t tell anybody what operating system they should run. If You like old, trusted OSs ā€“ go for it!

Norbert

Iā€™ll just have to point out that Windows 10 is not a new os, it is a new gui on top of Windows 8, + some new features. Windows 8 drivers should work fine on Windows 10. So there should be no big issues once it is released.

BUT I too recommend waiting for SR1. A crash is a crash, and can cost you lost work hours in a critical situation.

That said, I moved on XP very early, then over to Vista when it was released (that was painful), then to Windows 7. My homecomputer was fitted with Windows 8 very early too, even though I expected the UX (user experience) to be as bad as it was. I work with design, industrial, graphical and UI/GUI so I wanted the experience. And the only issues I have had has been driver support on old hardware. (and having to relearn where Windows misplaced odd settings :smile: )

So if you are adventurous and can spare the time then move on early, if not then move on a bit later. But move on. Windows 7 is allready old and we are getting older too, so I figure learning the new os as early as possible is good for the gray matter :wink:

In the preview version of Win10 Iā€™ve seen one BSOD (it had an emoticon in it), not sure what the exact reason was, but one good guess is the beta drivers Iā€™m using for my two R9 280x cards.

Generally Win10 has been very stable, but on restart (for the updates) Iā€™ve seen several times explorer.exe crash. Thatā€™s not too bad, since I had already everything closed and saved prior to commencing the restart. Since the last update yesterday I havenā€™t rebooted yet, so canā€™t tell if that has been fixed yet.

Win10 is running on my work horse that has two R9 280x in crossfire mode, using beta drivers for this, one NVidia GT 420, using latest stable drivers.

I run Rhino WIP often, starting generally two or three rendering sessions at the same time with RhinoCycles - one on CUDA, one on OpenCL and one on CPU, all from the same scene, continuously rendering (no preset stop time or sample count, just forever, or until I press stop). Apart from the one BSOD last week I have had no trouble punishing my system this hard under Win10. It does nicely heat up my office roomā€¦

For a production environment beyond typing into text files Iā€™d probably wait still though. As mentioned earlier in the thread: stability is paramount, losing hours of work is not fun, nor productive.

/Nathan

P.S. I am in love with Win 10 though, because it has no gradients nor rounded corners! <3

Hello everyone,
After I upgrade to Windows 10 I canĀ“t install Rhino. I have this error message during installationā€¦any solution for this? Thanks
[URL=http://s514.photobucket.com/user/carloscosta26/media/Captura%20de%20Ecratilde%201_zpsgioc8rk8.png.html][/URL]

To stop M$ from harvesting your dataā€¦

Are you using the latest Rhino 5 installer from here?
http://www.rhino3d.com/download

Not related to the latest posts, but to your information:

I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit from Windows 8.1 and everything works just fine.
I had to update the Quadro driver manually (as I didnā€™t want to wait for the auto updater) and the x-fi soundcard has not drivers yet, so I have to use the onboard sound card until the drivers are released sometime next month.

I chose to make a USB installer as I have more machines that will be updated.

Rhino 5 is running just fine, no need for a new activation.

Yes I try to install the latest version of Rhino 5 but without success. this was happened after I do a clean install of Windows 10. With the upgrade everything works fine, but after a clean install I canĀ“t install rhino.

Hi tripiatrik - I do not know how or if this applies to Windows 10 but it might be of some use:

http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/error1935

-Pascal

Hi pascal,
Thanks for this but I already tried most of these solutions and no success. I think I will make a new clean install of Windows 10 and try again. If the problem persist I go back to windows 8.1 and wait for a solution for this. Is the first time I have a issue with Rhino so I think the problem is Windows 10.

Just curious: Why not just use the upgrade, you said if it works fine? So why the need for a clean install?

Because my PC was too slow with the upgrade, I have many programs, and other things that I need to clean up. But the clean install isnĀ“t a reason to incompatibility with windows 10, if he worked fine before.

1 Like

Just upgraded the old mackbook pro from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home (Bootcamp) ((Kept all settings and apps, not a clean install)) and it works like a charm so far.