Will Rhino 5 work on Windows 10?

Hello everyone,

I use a commercial license of Rhino 5.0 R11 and Flamingo NXT (Build 13 June 2013), both running on Windows 7 64-bit (up-to-date). I have not used R&F on Windows 8.

Like many other Windows users, I received a notification to reserve Windows 10 in advance. A compatibility report says I’m good to go for the upgrade (screenshot attached). I assume means that means both programs (R&F) will not have any problems? I do not care much about other programs’ compatibility as much as R&F for my professional work.

I thought this forum could be a right place to check with if I’m safe to go for Windows 10 upgrade or not. I look forward to your suggestions/recommendations. Also, it would be nice if McNeel informs all its users whether it’s safe to go with Windows 10 before 29 July 2015, when the upgrade rolls out. Thanks!

your fine. i am running win10 and no problems.

1 Like

Are you using any plugin?
(like T-Splines)

Being you asked about plugins.how are they affected by win 10 ? vray, t-splines,VSR , etc. Thanks

No i dont have any plugins running

Thank you very much.
I asked on Microsoft Community Forum too, and the answer from a Support team is good to go.
But it’s more generic reply, so I still have some anxiety.

1. Did you clean install W10 first and then Rhino?
  2. Or upgrade to W10 with Rhino already installed from before?

I’m more concerned on how reliable the second option is.

I had rhino installed already and just did an upgrade. No clean install. If your worried just make a system image backup of your harddrive. This way you can put the system back exactly the way it was if something doesnt work out. Its always a good idea.

1 Like

That’s comforting.
I will definitely use a system image backup.
Thanks a lot again.

Hi Dyutiman,

Just curious, why do you plan on immediately upgrading to Windows 10 when its available? What OS are you currently using? Is there something Win10 will provide you that you current OS doesn’t?

Thanks,

– Dale

Hi Dale,

I’ve been using my R+F licenses on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit since last 3 years. I’m particular about keeping my work computer in great and lean shape. Over time I felt upgrades from Microsoft has made Win 7 more stable and better than ever. I’ve never thought about Win 8. But since Win 10 is a free upgrade offer, I’m curious if it’s worth it ‘without a hassle promise’, especially when it says that all programs, data and settings will remain unchanged after the upgrade.

I’ve been doing some reading ever since the offer came, from sources like howtogeek.com. So far, good reviews.

Please let me know if McNeel team has any experience to share about Win 10.

The very best way to do such, if one has the skills, can secure ones data, and an effiecnt workflow, is to erase and clean install periodically, though other less intense “clean” methods certainly help.

I speculate what @dale is really implying is - jumping on a new OS at release generally is NOT a path towards smooth sailing, regardless of reviews about said new OS. Like wine, let it “mellow” a bit.

As always, your mileage may vary…

I don’t have any reason to believe that Windows 10 won’t work great out of the box.

Clearly, you have a system that is working for you and allowing you go get your job done. I was just curious if Windows 10 was going to provide you something you didn’t already have.

I do agree on the anxieties of new OS being buggy on launch.
So I’m still not 100% nor have I decided that I will make the move immediately. I’m also thinking to check out W10 (on launch) on another less powerful laptop with Rhino eval pre-installed first.

In any case, the offer is valid till July 2016, so we have ample time to know how good W10 is. The only good thing I find common across all reviews is W10 has far lesser footprint and is noticeably faster than W8, which is faster than W7. If performance improves due to OS, I’d like to try.

If you have more than one machine to play with, and are a tinkerer, that is different…go fo it.

1 Like

We have a Windows 10 test station and it seems like a great OS. I will surely upgrade both my home win8 home machine and win7 workstation. It builds on the superior base of Windows 8 (Which is fast and solid) with a UI that seems as good as Windows 7. To me it seems like the best of both.

If you are going to upgrade your work machine and want to go for an early build then I strongly recommend purchasing a new drive, use a mirror program and duplicate the old. Then remove the old and store as backup. Then upgrade the new. That way you can go back if you need to.

2 Likes

Thank you.
I’m usually risk-averse about installing software for trials/demo, unless it’s from a trustworthy well-known tech company. But do you know any reliable mirroring program, or is that a feature built in Windows?

Thank you.
I still have about a month to decide if I’ll risk it on launch, or wait and watch. Even if I cancel the W10 reservation now, I’m eligible for free upgrade anytime within a year. That of course applies to all genuine ≤W8 users. Though I have a lot of interest with tinkering, I think computers should be totally tinker free, so we can focus on our work instead of on our machine. Apart from just Rhino/Flamingo, I’m totally on Apple machines for rest of my design work.

I’m stuck with Windows because I’m not sure how good Rhino for Mac yet is. I see that it’s not full-featured and many plug-ins are missing. The day it matches up, I’m likely to switch to Mac.

1 Like

Why not wait at least a couple of days and then take the plunge?
Any catastrophic bug should surface within a very short time.
All the rest is probably merely a question of preference and you still can go back if you keep a system image of your last install.

Cheers, Norbert

I use Acronis. It has worked flawlessly and is not very expensive.

Apparently this one is quite popular as well, but I have not tried it.
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Thank you @Holo, @norbert_geelen