Why Mesh and Why Solids or surfaces?

Actually making the part is fine with a mesh. (machining, 3d printing. etc)

But trying to easily alter a mesh or use a mesh along side other solid parts is proving to be a pain.
My main model (fuse of an aircraft) is a mesh or polysurface… It is simply too large for me to make it into a solid. In particular the rear half where all the curves are. I wish so much I could turn it into a nurbs surface!!

I have tried all the reduce mesh commands and all kinds of transform stuff it will not work until the model has lost way too much detail. Need to fix the dang meshes first also. There are many meshes that make up the fuse and they are all a mess…

I have been using my laptop to run Rhino.

I need to order up a desktop workstation so I have more horsepower and then maybe I can get this converted with enough resolution.

I will have to check on this forum to see where I should spend my money. I want to keep the computer under 2K and put all the money to memory and a graphics card and the right processor to maximize Rhino capability. I do not render much at this point but do work on some very detailed complicated parts and systems. If anyone has a good thread to look at or good specifications please point me in the right direction!

I am thinking solid state drive (have that on my laptop) as much RAM as I can afford, and 8Gig memory on a Gforce Quadro. Besides that, I am not sure what is best for the CPU…off to research that!
Thanks for all the dialog on this topic. Lord knows I need to learn all about lots of stuff!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Eric