What quiet GeForce Video cards r u using for V5?

Hi,
V5
Need to rebuild PC (its just nuked 1 hrs rhino work by losing picture frames and curves when I returned to it after a Jing crash. and I wish to upgrade video card, want at least 2Gb memory on it and it must run very quiet, very important is noise. Also my chance to run a flight sim (important to me) that needs 2Gb.

I see some with 0db two bays worth of cooling vanes, but do they cope with Rhino and a flight sim I wonder.

What are you guys using ?

I have printed off the McNeel advice for buying and some cards are mentioned.

The list is a year out of date, where is an approved list of cards ?.

I dont want Quadro or ATI. McNeel article not very supportive of Quadro anymore. I currently have GeForce and have always liked GeForce. Must also perform well with Photoshop CS6

The card choice and Rhino has to be correct.

Steve

anyone ?

McNeel site says;-
The Latest and Greatest

You may also want to ask the Rhino user base what type of card they are
using with Rhino 5 WIP.

Steve

Rhino is not very demanding on your graphics hardware. While better is always good it will mostly sit idle.

once you stay away from cards that are explicitly not recommended, any card will probably do.

so I think it best you head over to a photoshop or better yet a flight sim forum to ask that question.

I’m running a Del 27" touch screen with a NVIDIA GT 750M driving a second 24" monitor through an HDMI cable. I can’t tell you about noise. It seems like a good solid card.

Check in with @Holo for more details on specific card testing he has coordinated with other Rhino users.

Thanks John,
I’ll look into the GT 750M

PM sent to Holo.

Steve

This is all of course due to the much documented
Nvidia GeForce firmware CAD crippling of all 300+ series Geforce cards, in
order to sell more Quadro’s. The 200 series cards were so good at CAD that
Nvidia had to do something to sell more quadro’s, so they disabled some crucial
Opengl functions in geforce firmware which only CAD software uses.

I take it NVIDIA havent tampered with their latest range yet.

I Googled the 750M and found a guy with brand new PC and poor gaming performance :-
He says…

.Alright… After some research I found out that this graphics card is not meant for gaming. It’s just a good multimedia GPU.As some people said, it’s a fairly good GPU, but not enough to play games and have a good gaming experience.
So for any who thinking of buying this GPU; It’s a good GPU, but it is NOT for gaming.

I guess thats the 750m binned as I have waited years to run a certain many aircraft at one time flight sim and the card must do that and if it manages such a sim it will manage Rhino I presume.

Steve

I don’t think you have enough information to draw that conclusion.
Generally speaking, Windows “Gaming” uses DirectX graphics. The GeForce line of cards are intended for DirectX graphics.
Rhino uses OpenGL version 2.0 and Shader 1.2 graphics languages. The Quadro line of cards are intended for OpenGL graphics. However, since October of 2013, the Quadro drivers from Nvidia have not adequately supported the old OpenGL 2.0 spec. even they claim they still do.
Just this afternoon, I swapped messages with a Rhino user running a Quadro K2000 card with drivers from July 2014 and he is having good performance.
That’s what I have.

Hi,
I’m using at my work Pc a Quadro 2000K which works just fine with Rhino,
At home, I just bought a new Pc Machine with the GTX770 4GB which works great with Rhino, very fast and quite.
Haven’t tried it with heavy game till now but when doing my research before buying i’v read that the GTX series are more Game designated then the Quadro series.

Hi Steve
As far as I can tell all the Nvidia ranges from the 300 on(400,500,600,700) were cad crippled this way except the Titan which was supposed to be a sort of crossover geforce/quadro card which has had bad reviews from both gamers and cad guys considering the price of it.
You are looking for a good gaming card that will still handle Rhino ok.
This depends partly on the size of the models you will be dealing with in Rhino too.?
You are also looking for silence.
In the noise department normally newer cards are quieter because they are more power efficient and even though cards like the 660 and 750ti have big fans, they don’t run their fans flatout all the time making a noise like an equivalent 480 or 570.cards.
I have attached an interesting image found on Nvidia website comparing the relative performance of geforce cards.
So in the end the choice comes down to power consumption once you have chosen a performance bracket to buy in, and then a cost decision as newer cards cost more.
Hope this helps. Michael VS

Hi Gil_K,
My sights are currently set on the GTX770 though reviews say 4Gb no advantage over 2Gb, I like to think its future proof with 4Gb, though the comments say a 1080 monitor cant use more, 2Gb or 4Gb no difference.
Is the ceiling set at 2Gb for vid cards unless one has two or more monitors ?

edit…I have now raised my sights to the 780 following a PC spec suggested to me !

That aside, which make of GTX have you ?

I see reviews of MSI v Palit v Gigabyte v a GeForce reference card on TomsHardware and MSI quietest then Palit then Gigabyte, I also see an EVGA elsewhere on the www.

The Gigabyte (nice looking card) puts the airflow across the heatsinks and out the second card slot but it appears thats not so good at low noise, dumping the air into the tower unit seems to win.

Many gaming tests done on it so this should handle my fight sim.

Thanks for the charts mvyess.

Steve

I have a dual 760gtx 4gb in sli setup, simply for vrayrt, cant say i here it very much,…2gb wasnt enough for me incase of working with Vray,…

Hey @Steve1,
Im using the Gigabyte GTX770 4 GB with two monitors, 24’ & 19’ (I must add that having a dual DVI output works better for me then using one HDMI & one DVI so having a dual DVI is an advantage with this card )
when working with rhino its quit quite, i only start hearing him working when i render with Keyshote.
G.

Hi,
It is said that 4Gb only of use if Sli and two monitors but knowing how the PC world moves on I reckon 4Gb useful. I cant see myself with two monitors, the one cost me £1200 and I dont have space anyway.
Is this a sensible move or will I never use the extra 2Gb ?
I see the GTX780 comes as also a Ti which gives an even higher bar in the chart from mvyess in this thread.
I also see both are Direct X 11 as is the 770 and 760.
The fact that you both are with these says Rhino is ok for Direct X 11.
I need to find out if my flight sim is though.

I would like to see a test of current video cards by Jeff LaSor/McNeel if such is still done.

Steve

Go for a 760 with 2GB and save the money and upgrade to 4GB when you need it.
It will probably run your flightsim at max settings and max resolution. Google it.
Unless you have a 4K monitor. What monitor do you have?

And stay away from the Ti, it is higher clocked, so it will run warmer and the fan will run faster and you will have more noise. Yes it will be faster. But probably not in Rhino, and Rhino uses OpenGL not DirectX.

Steve
Just built a new super graphics machine that works better than expected. Here is the card that is in it.

Asus GeForce GT 640 2GB Passive E3C0YZ133386

All my best … Danny

This machine was built with Rhino 5 in mind.

Hi. As far as I know OpenGL and DirectX are API’s that both command the card directly, so relative performance in Directlx should be comparable to OpenGl performance, and since most of the Nvidia geforce range uses the same driver, they should all be equally good or bad at Opengl relative to one another based on GPU power.
Memorywise the GPU memory is used as a frame buffer and to store textures for games or for rhino rendered mode, so more GPU means mostly more space for bigger textures.
A 1920x1080 screen = 2 073 600 x Bits of info = 259.2Mbytes per screen.
Games normally pre-render 2 to 3 frames ahead and then tripple buffering with V-Sync can use up space for another frame or 2. From what I see on my GPU ram monitor I don’t think Rhino does any pre-rendered frames so you basically need about 250Mb of GPU Ram per HD screen. The rest is used for textures, and if you don’t have many of those then it isn’t really used.
One advantage of alot of GPU ram is if you are a Photoshop CS6 or newer user. There is an option in Photoshop to use GPU ram for images editing, which then leaves your motherboard ram free for other tasks. This works well on my 6gig-Quadro6000, where I can open many images in photoshop without affecting my main ram at all.
Another interesting note is that Win7 uses GPU ram differently for a DX10 card as for a DX11 card. There is info online about this too but basically DX11 allows Windows Aero theme to cache the entire desktop into GPU ram and use the GPU ram directly, whilst for DX10 cards Windows7 will first cache the desktop into motherboard ram as a buffer and then push the screen data into GPU ram, thus using motherboard ram as well as GPU ram for image. ie. DX11 cards can free up bit of CPU ram in Win7 Aero.
Hope this helps. Michael VS

Hi,
Holo,
…I have an Eizo ColorEdgeCG241W

Go for a 760 with 2GB and save the money and upgrade to 4GB when you need it

I cant see myself buying another vid card, once I buy one thats it,…given the costs involved !

I will avoid the Ti…I want a quiet card and have never gone for this overclocking . 780Ti price is also beyond sanity.

I will revisit 760 v 780 now you suggest 760.

I bought 250Mb RAM on a vid card and that was state of the art then withing months its out of date with a sim wanting DX10 and 2Gb ! PCs and cars biggest way of losing money.

mvyess,

I don’t think Rhino does any pre-rendered frames so you basically need
about 250Mb of GPU Ram per HD screen. The rest is used for textures, and
if you don’t have many of those then it isn’t really used.
…lost me a bit in the maths etc. Sounds like 2Gb is enough, I dont do any photo realistic output from Rhino…yet.

I do also do Photoshop and have CS6. I also have video editing Premiere Pro CS3. (not sure how I will fair there with CS3 … will it be ok under Win7 64bit ? but I will not be going subscription on something I rarely use but need to perform well when I do use it). Apparently 32bit progs work under 64bit, not sure if they work as good as 64bit designed progs, in fact still learning about what 64 bit offers progs wise. Should I pay for upgrade or stick with a 32bit XP prog.

Steve

64 vs 32 bit is a matter of RAM use.
Basically 32 bit has a limit of a bit above 3GB.

Hi. 32Bit is actually much more limiting because the ± 3GB that 32Bit register can address in Ram represents ALL the addressable ram on the PC, this includes GPU and CPU ram.
Thus if you are running a 32Bit system and you have a Graphics card with 1Gig of Ram on it, you effectively only have 2Gbytes worth of addresses left to use for CPU (motherboard) ram.
I have seen this with my own PC in the past with 4gigs of ram and Windows 32bit ONLY being able to use 2gigs of the 4Gb installed in the Motherboard.
This is made even worse if you have a graphics card with 2Gb of on board ram. GPU gets preference to 32 bit addresses and then whatever is left can be used by the system to address the main ram.
64Bit system allows for many Terrabytes of Ram addressing so the limitations fall away.
Hope This helps. Michael VS

He was talking about running a 32 bit application, not a 32 bit OS.
That is a huge difference.
Running a 32 bit application on a 64 bit OS will let the application access 3GB of ram.

So in a way you can say that it is better to run a 32 bit applicaitons on a 64 bit OS, than on a 32 bit OS. But the best, IF you reach the 3GB ram use for the application, is to use a 64 bit application on a 64 bit OS.

Hope that helps.