V6 Goal: Make2d overhaul

Currently Make2D curves inherit the attributes of the source objects, but I agree that group data should be removed. Thanks.

This is now fixed, you should see it in next week’s new WIP. Thanks.

@rajaa Lots of fun here with silhouette on top of the beautiful new viewport options. I had one suggestion but maybe it should be a scripting suggestion and not a WIP suggestion. EDIT:Yep. Probably should be a script… I’m not sure how many people would use this :slight_smile:

Perhaps a toggle for Make2d would be, rather than placing the product at the origin, place it at the near clip plane of the current camera’s view. This is one step towards doing a full linework+raster workflow in rhino instead of having to composite in Illustrator or other. The second image is the camera shown in the first image.

Otherwise I’ve been playing (testing?) with meshes, surfaces, etc. Running so smooth and the results are looking great. Cheers!

4 Likes

@Alexander_Kaplan Got it. Will add to the list.

Could the strokes be visualized with a calligraphic stroke ie thick to thin? This could also work for edge lines in a viewport - currently you can do this manually by taking the make2d line work into illustrator- would be great to automate this

Strokes in above image were all automatically generated in blender internal render engine

1 Like

Yeah, that would be awesome.

• Different stroke profiles.
  • Stroke thickness based on distance to camera (based on selection bounding box & user defined min & max widths to interpolate between).
  • Stroke thickness based on camera ray incidence angle (one user defined thickness for looking straight on and one for glancing angle then interpolate between them).
  • Strokes based on edge angle (don’t show lines where surfaces are continuous, only show sharp edges with user defined minimum angle between surfaces).
  • Strokes based on materials (don’t draw strokes for same-material surfaces, only where materials change).

IMO there is a lot of potential in this for illustration and better looking documentation. :slight_smile:

(Lightwave 3D does this rather well in it’s renderer but vectors would be even better).

Cheers,

Tom

This would be helpful on most commands… At least you could tell if it’s churning through the request rather than just hung.

I’ve skim read most of the points raised here and I think it only came up once - depth cued edges with line width?

All of the brush strokes etc can hopefully be done in other packages that are designed to do that sort of stuff but it would help if the make 2D had some options only really open to some programming tomfoolery rather than time behind the mouse.

Is it possible to set an option for depth cued edges which get thicker closer to the camera? It’s basic technical drawing stuff that some of us maybe did at school in the 80’s and way way before… We already have line weights on edges (imagine a spider walking around your model, where it would disappear etc) but thicker lines closer to the camera would take it to the next level.

I envisage four variables - on and off and then the furthest distance line thickness (say hairline or 0.1mm etc) and then the line thickness closest to the camera (say 2mm or pt).

The output of which is curves with a solid hatch infill.

So as an example, if you’re looking at the corner of a cube, the closest corner has 2mm thick lines and as the edges move away from the camera they reduce to a hairline - the output of which is a solid filled triangle for a line/edge/curve instead of a single thickness.

Like an IKEA v2.0 output.

Really happy with it so far, thanks for all the hard work!

Andy

There is a progress bar for Make2D in Rhino 6.

1 Like

Hi Thomas - the output here is pixels, correct? That seems more plausible (in Rhino), or as a display mode, than as part of Make2d curve output - to me at any rate. What determines the stroke placement and width?

-Pascal

1 Like

Just a note the progress bar seems to race to 99% then the programme thinks for a bit before creating the output and the last 1%

Still completed the task in an amazing 77.20 seconds for something that took minutes/hours in Rhino 5

1 Like

Greg,

It seems that when you change the option From Input to By Layer , it returns the layer information for each curve but still puts all the curves on a single layer. Will there be an option like in Rhino V5 to maintain source layers. Or would we need just make every layer a slightly different colour and make them our self manually or with a script.

Thanks Matt

@pascal- that is a good question. Re: Stroke profile: At the very least it could a calligraphic stroke profile or two- (you can look at Illustrator for examples) Simply thick in the middle and tapering to a certain percentage at the ends
I really like the idea of material change strokes or camera dependent strokes- like a zmask effect that dissipates from the point of focus or angle of incidence to camera.This is functionality that you cant get from a non 3d program.

There is no reason this cant be either a display mode OR a make2d functionality

This is my current workflow for this kind of illustration

1. Create a large scale viewport capture- love this new native capability
  2. Carefully without changing perspective viewport run make2d
  3. Export the vector lines to ai format.
  4. Composite in Illustrator- apply stroke definition, layer styles etc:

There shouldnt be a reason why this cant be all automated in Rhino!

Suggested Workflow for creating stylized vector illustration from Rhino:

1. Navigate to appropriate viewport and display mode
  2. Save as Illustrator format- Options available- Shaded(Yes) Linework(Vector,Raster), Hidden Lines and Curves (Yes/No) in addition to the current options available

BOOM! Final Output: Layered Illustrator file with vector linework overlayed onto raster shaded image

1 Like

Yes, experienced the same thing… --Mitch

1 Like

We noticed the same and improvements on the progress bar estimation is on the bug list.
RH-33235 Improve Progress Reporting for Make2d

Yes, Make2D in V6 puts all output in one layer/sublayers. The ByLayer option uses the “Layer Properties” of the source object. Can you give an example from your workflow where it is important/useful to have the Make2D output duplicate the layer structure for the output?

Rhino doesn’t support fancy line type display with tapered ends or by changing thickness based on distance from camera, and won’t for Rhino 6.

Thanks for clarifying stroke rendering- something to think about past Rhino 6. Maybe look at the Grease Pencil 2.0 development work in Blender for stroke style methods.

However the option to output vector and raster lines together would still be a super time saver for sure- especially for a set of standard ortho drawings.

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Select Linetype Broken

Greg
So far so good :slight_smile: I just did a test with one of my files, 251 sec with the lastest WIP and over 20 min for V5.
Done as 4 view, tangents, no hidden lines (360 polysufaces, 663 surfaces, 30 extrusions)

Thanks

James