V5 requires OpenGL2 but how to tell if your card delivers such?

Hi, V5

Nvidia requirements for laptops just got tricky.
Laptopvideo2go.comhttp://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/9243-forceware-updaters-quickstart-guide/

says nVidia drivers are based on a system called Unified Driver Architecture
(UDA) which means all nVidia card drivers are using one driver. However
for some reasons, they just removed the support for installing those drivers for some cards, and mostly laptop-based GO cards.

well thank you Nvidia !!!

running V5 on my laptop with an Nvidia Go6600 graphics card which ran V4 fine has so far has seen V5 run, though 3 instances of Rhino sees it seize up. maybe thats due to 128Mb video memory and 2Gb system memory ?

Q1. AM I RUNNING OpenGL 2 ? How do I find out ?
There is no way of finding out if the current driver 7.1.1.8 for this Go6600 is compatible for OpenGL2 from what I can see, or is there ?

As V5 requies OpenGL2 we must have a way of finding out what the card delivers ?

Anyone know how to detect OpenGL version number support ?

I have considered updating the graphics driver to the latest to maximise the chance of it being OpenGl2 but that is proving a nightmare as I cannot find a driver for geForceGo6600 on the internet for a laptop. Nvidia website has 6 series drivers, also 600 series, as to what a 6600 is ???

I think its 6. I try for 6, and see an Nvidia 307.83 but it says desktop in the download name. Nvdia dont have a choice option for desktop or laptop beforhand.

They dont have a human to talk to.

then it gets far worse…
there is all this about modified ini files to get around the Nvidia move on laptops.

I dont want to mess up the laptop which I have just had fixed hoping to fix the loudness, but despite new fans its still LOUD. I gave up on buying a new one with Nvidia as no one here or anywhere seems to know of those with decent screens suitable for photographers etc. and custom built ones are using NOISY Clevo base units, as Notebookcheck.net reviewed Clevo as… loud, louder, Clevo !!! I wish to get a quiet laptop. Clevo is 50db warranting a bold lettered criticism from the reviewer.

Steve

Hi Steve - OpenGL version is listed in Options > View > OpenGl page. Any recent card will have a more recent version than 2 as far as I know.

-Pascal

Hi,
Thanks for that…
laptop with Go6600 is saying via Rhino V1.5.3

Now is that ok, it certainly runs V5 in the manner mentioned, 3 instances freeze up, two are ok,. one works fine.

My settings etc see attached jpg.

I have 128Mb ram on that card yet Rhino says 64Mb.

All attempts to find a more recent driver fail thanks to Nvidia website !

Then there is this all about modified inf files needed and it gets a bit involved. Kind folk trying to overcome Nvidias negative move on Nvidia GPU laptops.

laptop is circa 2005, screen blows all current laptops I can afford out of the water, and I havent found one yet with decent screen and with better noise control. I cant replace the GPU as being a Toshiba laptop, its attached to the Motherboard :frowning:

Attempts over three weeks to find a suitable new laptop with decent screen have failed so I am faced with continuing on this laptop with its great screen. Tosh have gone AMD.

Steve

I guess I was wrong about that then…

-Pascal

That Go 6600 is from 2005, Pascal. You are right :smile: And even so it still should run 2.0, according to nvidia.

Ah, ok, good- thanks. Maybe I was thinking of ‘recent’ on a more geological time scale.

-Pascal

1 Like

Good to know it will, I knew it would with a more recent driver,

TROUBLE IS I CANT FIND A DRIVER AT ALL, NOT ANY, on the Nvidia website , except for desktop,
must be true they have shunned laptops.

Its a fine machine, superb screen , though noisy, but in need of a driver.
and if anyone knows of a laptop with screen suitable for photographers, 17 inch and quiet, let me know, as I have given up for the moment.

Steve